Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I went back to the petshop today (with a colleage from work to get her some yogurt drops for the hamsters she's babysitting) and another of the pet shop workers was on (he knows us well).

I asked about the little Tiltlie and this guy said he's been on Baytril now for 2 weeks and there's been no improvement. His ear is still bleeding.

This guy said it was probably a food allergy - yeah. Ok o_O

So I asked to bring him home tonight and take him to the vet Monday.

Meet Ivan

On the way home I was holding him in the car and I noticed a horrible stink coming from his bleeding ear. No doubt about it - there's an infection somewhere in there.

So, I've got him home (literally an hour ago) and I'm choosing to ignore QT. Actually, I lie. I'm not choosing to ignore it - we have an sick cat in my sisters bedroom and she's not a 'rat friendly' cat. He's been on Baytril two weeks - all the rats in the shop have been there for far longer than that. So I weighed up the risks and decided that his well being was far more important than 'what ifs'.

He's a lovely little guy. He was giving me little whisker kisses all the way home. I've put him in the sick cage for now (it's the only spare cage I have until my new cage gets here!) and he's already climbing out onto my hand and bruxing and the first thing he did was jump into his tube hammock and beg for a little attention!

So what do I do now? I've put a small dish of yogurt with Baytril in his cage(even if the petshop says it's doing no good, I think it's best to continue) and plan on giving him 0.1ml twice daily until Monday when I can get him to the vets. He's not very young - definately full grown. Perhaps 6 or 7 months old.

Should I clean the dry blood from his ear? What's the best method? The last thing I want to do to this little guy is give him a harder time than he's having already!

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Re: Ivan - Number 18. Ear infection

You could try to clean the blood out with a damp Q-tip, if you feel its necessary.

Do you have steroids at home? I would start him on that and a higher dose of baytril.

Btw he is wonderful!!!
He looks like a rat I fell in love with who was owned by a girl I know. He and his 2 cagemates died very suddenly and we never figured out what was going on even with a necro and histo. :(

Meet Newb

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I may have some of Katie's Medrone around. I'll have a look for that in a little bit.

He's taken the Baytril - he wouldn't lick it out of the dish, but he was quite happy to lick Baytril coated yogurt off of my finger. Lol.

I'm very worried that he's not responding to sound. No ear twitching AT ALL. He didn't wake when I came up to his cage and spoke to him. I whistled - no response. I even whistled and 'lip squeezed' (my rats HATE that) at him - nothing. Not the slightest twitch.

By a higher dose, what would you reccommend? I can weigh him if it would help? I'm worried about going too high - I have no idea what dosage they were giving him at the store. (Although it's safe to say it probably wasn't enough) *eye roll* o_O

Edit - forgot to add. <3 Newb! :D

·
Registered
109 Posts

That's not good, I hope your Ivan isn't deaf... Though I suppose he could survive without hearing. I wish you luck!

·
Registered
10,640 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the deafness at this point at all. There's lots of ways of dealing with deaf rats :) He might just have really "full" ears too.

The smell is a bad infection, the steroids will reduce the inflammation, and the high dose of baytril should help with the infection. Weigh your bub and get back to me, oh and let me know the concentration of your baytril too.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I'm hoping that it's just the infection making his ears 'full' too. I'm still looking for the medrone! It's gone into 'the box' of rat stuff - which is more of a black hole these days. Gah! I keep things just for this purpose!

Weight: I just pulled out mum's digital cooking scales (don't tell her lol) and he was very skittish being picked up and kept still. I put him on them three times, each time it was between 250-260g. So I'll say 250g to err on the side of caution

The Baytril is 2.5% oral solution. I have a 100ml bottle and it says "containing 25mg/ml enfrofloxacin" Is that what you need?

Thanks, Lilspaz. :) IOU

On the other hand - although his ear stinks to high heaven - he seems perfectly healthy. New home sniffles are progressing as expected, he's groomed me, licked me, kissed me etc. The only thing he's not too fond of is being picked up, but he's perfectly happy to climb onto my hand instead. It's like he's known us forever already!

·
Registered
10,640 Posts

Awww...what a sweetheart!

OKay, 250 gram Ivan with baytril at 25 mg/ml at the high end dose of 10 mg/kg would get .1 cc's BID :)

Did you pick up the other 2 boys as well? ;)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thank you! Thank gosh I'm giving the right dose. Whew!

The other boys didn't come home with me today as we got to the petshop about 20 minutes before closing. It was just enough time for my mum to decide that she wanted to take Ivan home (this was while I was picking yogurt drops!) It very much was a case of I turned my back for 5 minutes and my mum had decided he was coming home, and was standing beside his tank holding him. Of course - I'm the one who will have to explain his homecoming to my dad when he notices an extra cage in the room o_O

But, the other boys have not been forgotten! I am planning on putting back Rays neuter for a couple of weeks and buying a new Freddy cage. I'm of the opinion that the boys at the shop have been there long enough - one more week won't harm them too much. I'm 'working' the hamsters are much better than rats card on my friend at work, so maybe I can persuade her to take the other two lol. Unlikely, but I can hope *sigh*

You know, I'm sure I'll end up feeling so guilty leaving the other two I will go back for them o_O I can't take two brothers and leave the other two. How can you decide who's life to change? I don't like playing god

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

I still think he needs to see a vet and get a swab done. I know with ear infections there could be several factors in cats/dogs and baytril will kill bacteria but it won't kill yeast. I also think a ear drop type med will be more potent. But yeah something to try for the time being a guess. Steroids do work well with ear infections.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Poppyseed said:
I still think he needs to see a vet and get a swab done. I know with ear infections there could be several factors in cats/dogs and baytril will kill bacteria but it won't kill yeast. I also think a ear drop type med will be more potent. But yeah something to try for the time being a guess. Steroids do work well with ear infections.
There's absolutely no doubt about it, he's going to the vet Monday evening. I have to do something now because I can't leave his poor ear festering for 48 hours until I can get him there.

I still can't find those steroids, although I think my vet will be wanting to give him a long-acting anti-inflammatory injection, like he usually does with any problems o_O Not worrying too much about that right now - at least he's got a good dose of Baytril on board now.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well we went to the vets tonight and saw a completely different vet! No idea who she was but she was very nervous about treating his ear with anti-inflammatorys. I listed what she should use - pred, dexamethazone ... ****, I even asked for some Medrone! But she gave a tiny injection of some weird one that I've never heard of.

o_O

I will be taking him back next week when my regular vet is back from the vets. I may even stoop to take him to see Lady Evil. O.O

But he was a hit with the nurse there :D They love him

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it's now a month since I bought this little dude home, so I think I owe you guys an update.

He's proved himself to be the most adorable little fellow EVER. He is such a jeckyl and hyde creature - one minute curling up in your hand, the next minute he is racing off and humping all the other boys! Lol

His tilt is SLOWLY improving (approx a 15% improvement) and the smell of his ears is showing a similar improvement. One of his ears has stopped bleeding, but the other still bleeds fairly regularily. He will now, though, respond to loud sounds with a muted interest - so I'm taking that as a positive sign that perhaps one day his hearing will return completely. Small sounds though he remains oblivious to.

So far he's been treated on Baytril and a long acting anti-inflammatory injection. I took him back to see my regular vet tonight who believes that the infection MAY have infected the bones of the inner ear and surrounding skull bone. If it's done that, there isn't really much hope for the guy. The usual treatment for that in a cat and dog would be to scrape the infection from the bone - obviously not an option for a rat. As he's still a perfectly happy chappy, my vet is more than happy to try a different antibiotic and see how that works. So we're going to be giving amoxycillin a go for the next 12 days, and twice daily 'squirts' of canural antibiotic ear drops. Fingers crossed!

I should notice an improvement by monday, if there will be one.

So yeah, we're still fighting it! Until it's licked though - Ivan will, no doubt, continue to be the adorable little pain in the a$$ that he's proved himself to be :D

·
Registered
486 Posts
It's good to hear how Ivan is getting on and I'm glad to hear that he is improving :)
Fingers crossed that on the next update he is feeling even better!

What do you intend to do if the infection has infected his bones? Keep us updated on the little guy.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not intending to do anything right now. *If* it has infected his bone, then that's life. I'll continue to medicate and so as much as I can for him. Until he lets me know to stop - I'll keep up the fight

He's being a right pain in the patoot with his ear drops. It takes 3 of us to get him to sit still :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts