Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a confession to make.

I currently have 15 rats (as most of you will know) and I've been VERY good recently regarding buying new rats - as my resources are stretched enough as it is!

Well, ahem, as I've been stressed to the moon and back with my poor Katie recently I decided to go to the pet-shop to pick up some treats for the rats (yes, I don't treat myself - the retail therapy is for the rats only) and I was talking to a guy in there about two gorgeous rex's that one of the pet shop workers has reserved.

THEN he has to go say that they had an accidental litter a month ago which are in a back room...

Not only that but...

They are rex's...

And some of them are dumbos.

They'll be ready to take home in two weeks, and they'll have been quarantined before hand (this pet shop is good with QT - all of the pet centre workers are rat breeders)

Gah! I'm going back this weekend to speak to the girl we know well down there, who will show me the babies and maybe (which means I will) reserve one. But my name's on the short list, meaning I would get the original pick of them before they get put up for general sale.

doh!

Smack my wrists

Does anyone else seem to have this complete lack of self control when it comes to our beloved furballs?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
C'mon Ration, you can make it to 44 with willpower like that! Come join me! ;)

THAT is why I do not go into petstores anymore, plus I try not to support animals being sold so find my supplies elsewhere. LOL

Btw you should know you have to always get babies in pairs!!!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lilspaz68 said:
THAT is why I do not go into petstores anymore, plus I try not to support animals being sold so find my supplies elsewhere. LOL
I've been banned from petstores for a while now - until mum went in the other month and bought Daphne home for me. o_O now I know she can't be trusted either, so I tend to run in, grab and run out again - avoiding at all cost the rat tanks lol.

And I would much rather take in a rescue rat - but I don't think there are any rescues in my area. Plus, I'm such a regular in this petshop, that one of the girls there sees me as a first port of call for rehoming rats that have been thrown on her (she breeds to sell to the petstore, but she's very good with rats). Half the rats I've acquired from this place I've got free, so they've not profited. Stick THAT capitalist petstore chains!

lilspaz68 said:
Btw you should know you have to always get babies in pairs!!!
Oh, I do know - but I barely kept my ear telling my mum I was getting one more. She'd have kittens thinking that two more would be added to the zoo that's the living room o_O BUT! My plan is to get a little boy, chop his nuts off and throw him to the mad sisters...mwahahaha. Hopefully having a boy in with them will calm them down a little bit as they've been at each others throats recently and need something to take their attention away from their estrogen induced madness. It'll be my first nut-job *proud tear*

Anywhoo - how much do you want to bet that I come away with two anyway o_O lol

Berks said:
I guess if ya have 15, whats one more, right
Exactly my logic! Another good one 'I've had 16 before, what's wrong in back-tracking a liiiiiittle?" (I think I'm getting a little too good at talking dear Mamsita around :-D)

gemalouise said:
how do you manage with 15 rats i have 6 boys and 2 girls and would love more but im struggling with the boys and there smelly cage
Lol, I struggle and pull my hair out a lot of the time. I'm being made redundant in March, so I'm trying to tighten the purse strings a little bit...needless to say that's not really working all too well lol.

They all get their attention and a little free range time every day. I make sure they all get a goodnight treat and (yes...I really do this) and tuck them into bed (ok, they're nocturnal, so they get right out again but that's not the point darnit! LOL)

I have all the rats in my mums living room too - so it does get bit smelly by the end of the week. But I clean them out thoroughly and find that if I keep their cages in check - the ones with more than 1 rat in I clean twice weekly) it doesn't get too bad. If it did, I'd be turned out on my ear by now lol

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
my friend is finally able to take her rat home come christmas (her hubby and i have talked this out with the landlord and are making it a surprise for christmas). her hubby told me to just go out and get Sookie a friend they could take home with her as well. well, i stop off at the store meaning only to get ONE more rat. heck, i didn't even fully intend to get a rat there at all. my original plan was to contact a rescue. i just wanted to see what the store had. if they had anyone that especially special i thought i might pick them up, maybe. well there was peaches and sweet-ums... both were so friendly, both so desparate for love. there was a quiet little white rat in there too that i felt bad for leaving behind but i could not go in for MAYBE 1 and come out for 3... the were so small too and so cute. i had to go all the way to my parents for the nursery tank i had left behind.

we had sweet-ums for not even a full week before she died from unforunate circumstances. i told the hubby striaght out but i had to tell my friend as well, which was difficult because not only had she fallen in love with sweet-ums she didn't really understand why i was calling her in the first place.

in anycase, i had to go out and get another rat baby. peaches was still a couple weeks from graduating from the nursery and as it would be unfair to make her stay there alone.... anyway, that's how we have brisby now. she's a coward, afraid of her own shadow and is probably about the exact opposite of what sweet-ums was like, but she has her own merits. the reason i got her over the others was that she was the closet size to peaches and still too young to be pregnant.

but i tell you, there was this little hairless, smeeze dumbo baby whom's ears were so big i thought for sure he was about to trip over them. and he so affectionate. but the bugger was male and i did not want to shell out another $90 right now. also, i would not be giving him away, i knew that the moment i looked at him. i have no clue where the will power came that made me leave him behind. i know that if i go back and see him i'll take him home next time though so i'm not going near that store again for a long while.

weak will power brought many of my rats too me though. Babydoll, Stewart, Ink, Violet, Sweetipie.... yeah, i think most rat owners succumb to it at some point. those faces are just so hard to say no to.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
twitch said:
there was a quiet little white rat in there too that i felt bad for leaving behind but i could not go in for MAYBE 1 and come out for 3...

yeah, i think most rat owners succumb to it at some point. those faces are just so hard to say no to.
A few months ago, I went in for a water bottle. I came out with Lily and Kitty and promised to come back for Niki and Jennie the day after. o_O I couldn't separate the sisters (even if it did leave them in pairs).

Then again, I've been there before and seen the smallest, cutest little rat sitting in the corner wheezing away and knew I couldn't bring it home, because knowing he was sick and I don't have very good QT facilities, I couldnt risk my other babies. I had to settle for telling the store attendant, going back to the car and crying my eyes out. o_O *sap*

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
There's no way I would be able to say no to those dumbo rex babies! I don't even go to pet stores that I know have rats, because I have no will power at all. I also avoid Craigslist now. I'm determined to keep my rat population in single digit numbers, unless I perchance find a neutered male somewhere ^_^;

·
Registered
94 Posts
UMMMM very easly? Not a big fan of hairless rats *cough rat's with mange* ..On my part I've had over 70+ at one time.. you went to the back of my house and nothing but rat cages as far as the eye could see..

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.