Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh boy! I guess you could say that I mean that literally!! I have a 6-8 month old female dumbo, Chloe, that I adopted not too long ago from the animal rescue that I work at. I woke up this morning to let her and her friend, Gerdy, out to play. While they were running around, I decided to refill their food bowl. I grabbed the dish, and saw something under their small shelter move. I panicked! I lifted their shelter and saw a bundle of baldness! After I processed that I had baby ratties in my home, I counted them. There were 14 babies. I had no clue that she was pregnant! And Gerdy is 100% female, and Chloe has never been near any other rat. I took Gerdy and set up a solitary, temperary home for her while Chloe has her little ones to care for in the other cage. I then began thinking about what I was going to do with the babies when they are grown. I dont care how much I love rats, I will not have 16 rats! haha! I just don't have that type of space! I began thinking who I could give them to. Then I realized that all of my family and friends think I'm crazy for owning rats. They think they are disgusting and carry diseases. So, family and friends are out of the picture. I live in the Mohnton PA area, and need to find maybe some small pet stores that would be gracious to take the babies when they are grown. I can guarantee that these babies are 100% healthy. Neither of my critters have nor had any illness of any kind. They have monthly vet visits, and I give their cages a full sanitizing each week. I make their own food, so I know that goes into it, and what doesn't. My critters are my main focus. I really hope someone can help me find GOOD homes for these little ones. Help!?????????

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hello! Check out the Facebook group NE PA Rat Breeders/Owners, you might be able to find some homes on there! Also you can reach out to local rat rescues or small animal rescues, maybe ask your local shelter if they can post a sign for you, maybe post at local pet stores as well!

I don't have any experience raising a litter so I can't help you there... wish I was in the market for some babies but I have 2 really old girls I dont want to stress them out right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sorry I wish we lived closer (ND here) but I really hope you can find good homes for the babies! If you don't mind I hope at some point you can get some pictures to share of the babies :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Putting up a Craigslist ad in the pets section may help. That's how I acquired my rats.
Apparently the thing to do is charge $10/rat or so to make sure someone isn't just picking them up for their snake. At least that's what they tell me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I will be sure to try to get a few shots of the babies when mama Chloe is off duty!!! Thank you so much for the ideas! I will try them all!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Please do not send the babies to a pet store,,,or list them on Craigslist,,,,they may end up as snake food,,,,the Rat Rescues,,,,or breeders, they may help finding homes

·
Registered
995 Posts
CL is often a good spot around here, out of all the rats I've owned, 5 have come from CL. Just make sure you charge some cash for them to prevent the snake owners and ask to see pictures of their cage and setup! I haven't worked with Pittsburgh Rat Rescue but I know the Philly Rat Rescue gets a lot of mixed reviews... I've tried speaking to them about a vet they recommended but they never responded to me... and I know people who have had drama with them. I don't know of any other rescues...

(Gah I wanna see pictures of the babies but I also do not!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
oh my gosh I am totally interested. I have been looking for a girl for a companion for my rattie and I've always wanted a dumbo so this is perfect! I'm just waiting a few more days because we're waiting to see if our rattie has babies. But it's been 24 days so I think she's just a tubby rat. I'll let you know what happens by this weekend though. Oh and when would they be ready to go home?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh my goodness that it amazing! They will be ready in 4-5 weeks, and by then I will be able to figure out their gender! Mama Chloe has been doing such an amazing job! We have not lost one baby! I would be so incredibly happy if you are really interested!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts