Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my rats have been itching and they have a few scabs and I believe that they have mites/lice so I ordered Ivermectin which came today. I just want to be careful so this is what I'm going to do, please correct me if I am wrong - squeeze all the ivermectin into a container, mix it well, and give a uncooked grain of rice size amount to each rat, and give the next dose exactly a week from now. Also, I am pretty sure it is mites, but if it is something different, will the Ivermectin be bad for my rats?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Pretty much except you either give the rat a half grain of rice or full depending on the size of your rat. You didn't mention how big your rats were so I don't know if you know that or not
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure their exact weight but they're females and maybe a bit on the smaller side. They are about 1.5 years old. Thank you for telling me about that, I think ill give them about half of a grain of rice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Do not use Ivermectin. It is a huge risk to use. Never skip out on veterinary care. Research Revolution for rats instead. I just lost a baby to accidental overdose. It is NOT WORTH THE RISK, trust me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
I'm not sure their exact weight but they're females and maybe a bit on the smaller side. They are about 1.5 years old. Thank you for telling me about that, I think ill give them about half of a grain of rice.
No problem! c; that should be fine then! There's only one of my boys that I give a whole rice full too and he's HUGE so. The rest all get half a grain. I've always used ivermectin for my rats and while I haven't been at this decades I've been at it for several years and I've never had an issue with it. I'm always very careful with how much I give them though. I always would rather give them too little than too much. Because if you give them too much yes it can be dangerous but if you give them too little it can't hurt them. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask me! C: Hope your girls feel better soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
The dosing for a rat one pound (about 455 grams) or over is the size of an uncooked grain of rice. Less than one pound is half the size. Keep the uncooked part in mind especially.
You have to give the dose once a week for three weeks.
(I would also highly recommend using Revo instead. It's safer, easier, faster, doesn't require the intense cage cleaning and is only applied once and protects the rat for 30 days.)
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top