Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm all very new to the rat world and have just purchased 2 female dumbo hooded rats. Although i'm of the opinion only one is dumbo, i will post some pics up as Ruby appears to have ears set on top of her head. I've had them for just nearly a week and are named Millie and Ruby.

I have done everything which i think may work in comforting and helping them to settle down but i just wanted advice on Ruby.
Millie has settled well, shes a more laid back rat and happily takes food from me and is handled regularly. She sleeps in the hood of my dressing gown or in pockets which is great!

However Ruby is the opposite and is very withdrawn, shes curious of her surroundings but whenever we go near she shys and looks away. Last night she took food from my hand but ran away once she'd got it and on all three attempts to get her out of the cage, shes made a dive for it and weve ended up on hands and knees searching for her. We got her out once a day for the first three days and then left it for a day, is it right to leave them un handled to settle as my partner seems to think she should be left alone? She seems to climb more than millie and jumps whenever handled to get away. Is this normal and what can i do to make her relax more?

Thanks
Kim

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
How long have you had them? It's considered okay to let them be a day or so to let them settle in. Where are you handling them? Can they smell their cage? Sometimes rats will jump to get 'home.'

It sounds like Ruby wasn't handled a lot, whereas Millie may have been. Or, Ruby is acting like a typical girl rat (ie. HYPER), whereas Millie is more laid back.

Find a safe place to hold them like a bathroom, where they can't get under things or escape and hold them at least twenty minutes a day... she should get used to it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well both times we went to get her out she jumped out of my partners hands and made a run for it down the back of the cage behind a table, on the second time she did this i managed to get hold of her and she was really shaking so i held her in my arms snug and she eventually calmed down, i then put her in her cage. The third time, we put the cage on our coffee table and tried to handle her on the sofa and took out there 'house' and placed it on the sofa so they had a safe place to run back to if they werent too sure, but she still ran extemley fast so we had to then put her back in the cage.

They havent bit either of us yet although Millie last night nipped slightly, but i think she may of smelt food as we'd had fajitas! lol So is this a good sign?

Thanks again
Kim

·
Registered
517 Posts
My old rat Ping Pong was never shy but all rats are differnet. My old rat seems like your rat Millie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.