Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Mavis for about 2 weeks now and in that 2 weeks I've managed to pick her up once!
The problem is that everytime you attempt to pick her up she either scuttles away super fast or squeaks at me (Which scares the life out of me :lol: ). That and she's also a very good jumper, if you actually do manage to get your hand round her she's out of your hand like a frog.

I'm going to try the baby food trick tonight, put some on a spoon and see if I can get her to come on me...If she's okay with that, I may try the finger trick. On that note, she does come upto me and put her front paws on my leg, but hasn't actually climbed on me yet.
She also starts to get very annoyed if I 'chase' her round the bed to long attempting to pick her up...she starts to kick out with her back feet.

I was just wondering whether anyone had any tips or suggestions of how to tame her or at least build some trust up...?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Get a hooded sweatshirt or something similar and let her hang out in there. Also, dealing with her in a place where you won't have to chase her as much would probably be much less stressful for her.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the problem...she won't actually come onto me, so I don't know how I'd get her to get into the hoody. But I will try and give it a go.

I don't chase her as such, just try to put my hand round her if she runs past me. I wouldn't continually chase her round the bed as it'd stress her out and make her frightened of me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts