Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bubs have just turned 4 weeks old and they are all wrestling and becoming rather mature. Nobody nurses from Mom anymore and they all eat seeds, fruit, yogies, lab block and are skilled at drinking from the water bottle. My question is, is now a good time to find them homes?

I have found a very good local pet store who is willing to take the bubs and Mom from me and sell them to new (non-reptile owning) owners. I have long since made the decision to not keep Mom, as she does not seem to like me and doesn't keep along with her sister, whom I am keeping in another tank.

I would be keeping the 2 boys I am keeping in a medium Superpet dealie until I order my Ferret Nation 141 and supplying them with water bottle, soy milk, seeds, lab block, fruit, veggies and miscellaneous treats such as Greenies and Yogies.

Are the bubs okay to leave me now? They will be with mom and not placed with other older rats at the store.

A positive response would be best because I cannot afford to keep them in my home much longer. They consume a large amount of food and my budget can't handle this much more.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It's best to separate sexes about 4.5 - 5 weeks. That's when they're also okay to leave mom.

Personally, I'd suggest either finding homes yourself for them, or finding a rescue that will. Pet stores make all sorts of promises... But honestly? There's no guarantee that they won't end up as snake food. People lie. And beyond that, you have no idea who will take them, what kind of conditions they'll end up in.

It's up to you, but just a suggestion. If the store takes them, make SURE they separate males from females, or this will continue to happen (I'm assuming mom came home pregnant?). Some pet stores will take advantage... "Free stock". :\

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We've a whole arrangement. The shop is a small one, on the way from my school. I plan to stop in every day after classes and have told them so. They have set the cages up, 1 for mom and the girls, 1 for the boys. Also, they are offering me 5 dollars per baby and 10 for mom. Also, the small animal department staff take the rodents and birds out daily and have a 'no feeders' policy. I am pretty sure that the ratties are in good hands. Thank you for you concern, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts