Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we decided we wanted the rats in a more communal area so we moved the SRS down stairs to the living room.. After 30 minutes (We have a turn in our very narrow stair case!) of my ankles/fingers being crushed, paint & plaster being pulled off the wall and a very heated argument with the OH about "tactics", we got it in the living room. Of course the rats weren't in it though ha! I cleaned their cage out, gave them some treats, gave them a cuddle and allowed them to get used to the sudden noise and of course, presence of the cats!

(Side note: Question about rats and cats. How long did it take your cats to just get over the rats presence? Also, I have an SRS and I fear for the rats at the bottom of the cage as obviously its right in the cats eyeline. Any advice?)

Buttt
on a side note. I GET MY TWO HAIRLESS BABIES TOMORROW. I am so excited and so unprepared... I got in higher protein foods (eggs etc) and treats and I've ordered snuggle pouches and polar fleece hammocks etc etc but I feel really unprepared. She's bringing them to mine tomorrow at around noon so I'm going to get up with my OH at 6am (her work time eurgh) and get myself up the poundshops, Wilkos, Home Bargains, Asda, charity shops. You name it. I also really want to go to this huge petstore up the road from me that is cheaper than [email protected] but with the same stock (Back2Nature, Catolet, treats, food etc). So I might try con my F-I-Law to give me a lift up haha! I'm going to be a busy bee tomorrow but do expect a picture spam! Also, have I forgotten anything that I need. Any advice is fab :D

Have a nice day guys!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Are your cats more lazy or more hyper? Our lazy cats took maybe a couple days max, the more hyper cats took a couple weeks but they still get a bit curious and would sit and watch. I don't know how big that cage is, but I'm in a similar boat but with our rabbits (paranoid a tail or paw is gonna get nipped by a buttheaded Flemmie of mine) and I've looks at getting a seed guard for bird cages as a sort of barrier between rats and outside. I havnt tried it yet, and i don't know how big they come or if they would be easy or not to make, but its an idea. Can't wait to see pictures! I wish I could get a hairless! Someone near me had some but no space for any! Xp so i'll be watching for that spam!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are your cats more lazy or more hyper? Our lazy cats took maybe a couple days max, the more hyper cats took a couple weeks but they still get a bit curious and would sit and watch. I don't know how big that cage is, but I'm in a similar boat but with our rabbits (paranoid a tail or paw is gonna get nipped by a buttheaded Flemmie of mine) and I've looks at getting a seed guard for bird cages as a sort of barrier between rats and outside. I havnt tried it yet, and i don't know how big they come or if they would be easy or not to make, but its an idea. Can't wait to see pictures! I wish I could get a hairless! Someone near me had some but no space for any! Xp so i'll be watching for that spam!
Well Sanka, is lazy. He watched for maybe 10 minutes then walked away bored, then just peeked over the sofa every half an hour or so to check they were still there haha! No is a hyper little bugger, we've just put a Feliway in the house so hopefully that'll calm him but he's as mad as a box of frogs! I'm so worried about tails and noses and arghhh!!! Think I might just get a cardboard side for the front (The sides have scatter guards) and keep a very watchful eye on the cats for the next few weeks. They were like this when I got the fish, fascinated then one day they were bored and never noticed again! I've always wanted hairless so this is like a dream come true!! I will be sure to upload a picture heavy thread for you :D

·
Registered
995 Posts
My rats will nip if the cats stick their paws in the cage. To which I say, they deserve it. Our smaller cage was on an end table and we kept a jar of coins on the coffee table. Any time a cat stuck their paw in the cage we shook the can and scolded them. The noise is enough of a deterent and it got to a point where we just had to pick up the can.

Now we call the big cage CatTV, haha. They dont stick their paws in as much and if we do a quick scolding, they leave it alone. I did find Treble on top of the cage the other day... but that was my fault for leaving a chair too close. He wasnt bothering the rats but I wasnt going to let him get away with that either.

It may take some time, training, and patience but they'll get there! And the feliway helps.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats brilliant help! Thank you! Jar of coins.. clever! I was going to use a water spray bottle but don't want to soak the wallpaper and such! So thats perfect! Thank you :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
My cat is 9 so he's slowed way down and he was over the rats after a couple of days. Whenever he climbed up there to mess with them I just said "NO" and clapped my hands and he would get down. But he knows what no means since we've had him so long he is well trained. Basically the same tactic as the jar of coins :)

Funny story, when Johnnycakes (my cat) was just a kitten, I had a gerbil (gerbil was there first) named Jack. I didn't know any better at the time so he was in a cage with a plastic bottom, he got out CONSTANTLY. Johnny would chase and corner him but he never could catch Jack, because Jack would attack him! I would be trying to shoo Johnny away while Jack bit and scratched at him and after a while Johnny got the hint :D Eventually we got Jack a tank and he lived to be almost 5!! Toughest gerbil I ever knew lol.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My cats are 10 and 15 so they got bored the first day. LOL Surprisingly, it was my 15 year old female who was being a bit of a turd towards the rats. She'd walk up to the cage and just hiss at them as if to say, "I don't like you so stay outta my way." Haha! But she's kinda like that with people she doesn't like too. She's just old and grouchy. My 10 year old male cat is so laid back and accepting of everybody and everything, that he could care less about the rats. He sleeps next to me on the couch every night while I'm watching TV and playing with the rats and he barely bothers to wake up and look at them. The rats have gotten used to him always being there too and don't seem bothered by it. Buffy was running around on the couch one night and came face to face with Thomas! She just froze! He lifted his head and looked at her and then closed his eyes and went back to sleep. Buffy then continued on her way when she saw he wasn't a threat. Haha! I think Thomas understands that the rats are just part of the family so he's accepted them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our cats are only just over 2 and have ruined everything in the house haha! We always say how we cant have anything nice because they destroy it ha :) They just keep going up to the cage and they seem to think they're bloody tigers or something haha! Hopefully they get bored :) And thanks Akita!!! Hope all is good with the rescue :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So jealous!! Im sat with Ben in a bonding pouch being very careful of the cats hahaha. I love dogs though, theyre so silly!

·
Registered
34 Posts
One of my cats could care less about the rats. The other one only cares when they were allowed out of the cage. She would sniff and I caught her trying to swat once (I suspect she was playing as she does NOT hunt...at all...she's afraid of some bugs haha). With that being said, the dog I watch from time to time loves to bark at the cage, so I always move the cage to its own room while he is over.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Could you put some wire mesh around the bottom of the cage perhaps? Just enough to prevent the cats being able to paw/claw through the bars?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts