Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted two baby rats from a pet store last week. I couldn't resist taking them home as they were
getting beat up by their siblings.
One of my girls is missing a nail and has a scratch/cut on her face. Her sister got it a lot worse though. She is missing an entire finger. The poor thing. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and I had a vet check her out and she told me that the bone will eventually fall off (which it did yesterday) and to apply Polysporin to the wound.
It doesn't look infected at all surprisingly.
Do you think shes in pain? Shes not limping and shes climbing all over her cage like normal so that leads me to believe shes not.

Is it normal for rats to bit off their siblings fingers like that?
One of their other sisters got it much worse. Half of her hand was almost off. It took me pointing it out to them to put her in a different cage (which they did right away). I am hopefully going to adopt that one if they help her out, which they claim they are.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
the missing finger could've been something when she was young. If its healed I wouldn't worry in the least. Maybe they were in with adult rats before you saw them and got nipped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shes just seven weeks old now and the manager said that she didn't see that when she inspected then
upon arrival (just like the fleas?).
It seems to be a recent injury as the rest of the bone has just fallen off. But it is healing nicely so hopefully I don't have anything to worry about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts