Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We brought our new girls home yesterday and today when we were playing with them outside the cage, one of the rats forced herself through the bars back into the cage (from the top, gravity was on her side). Our girls are 7 and 8 weeks old so are still quite small.

I am no terrified they are going to escape, although they seem fairly disinterested in leaving their cage at all and even when I leave the door open and leave the room they dont tend to stray far.

Should I be worried?! Or will they just stay in their little home because thats where their food and bedding is?

Any advice would be great

·
Registered
425 Posts
You could get hardware cloth and zip-ties at a hardware store, and wrap the cloth around the cage to make the bar spacing smaller.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have chicken wired the top of the cage (and made sure there are no pokey spikey bits but wrapped the edges in electrical tape) for now. We need to work out what to do for the side of the cage (not as easy to apply chicken wire here because they dont come off and the girls like to climb so I'm concered about them getting scratched)... your idea is good though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts