Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, well I just got 2 new males from a breeder, they are really tiny, about 2 months old at most. I named them "Ren" and "Stimpy"

Okay, so here are 3 questions I have

1: I am going to start free ranging my rats, boys first for an hour and then girls for an hour until I get the boys neutered and living together with the girls, then they will come out together. But what I wanted to ask, how can I potty train them to pee and poop in a litter box OUTSIDE the cage? I just let them do whatever in the cage, not really enough room for a litter box on each level of the critter nation, but I just want to make sure they pee in the potty when they are running around my room. Help?

2: I would eventually like to take my rats outside my room and sit on the couch and watch tv with my family, while having one of my ratties cuddling with me or on my shoulder. Problem is, I have cats. They are not really aggressive towards them, they have came up to the cage in my bedroom and sniffed at them, but never really shown aggression, more of a curiosity. Though I'm' sure they would attack them if given the change and no supervision. Can I eventually, when they are much bigger and more comfortable with me, in 3-4 months let's say, take them out of my room and chill in the rest of the house with them, WHILE having cats? I won't let them run around, they will be with me. Can I do this?

3: I wanted to know, about how long will it take them to get full size? I can't wait to have a big fuzzy rat to cuddle with (girls are more active, love playing with them, not so much in the cuddle department, tho. They prefer to groom me and explore my room ^.^ )

Thanks for any help you can give me :D

·
Registered
870 Posts
1. It would work better if you litter trained them inside the cage with litter boxes. I'm not sure it will work outside the cage if they don't get the idea inside the cage.

2. Since I got Petey and Binx to trust me (about 7 to 10days of immersion) they always spend their outside of cage time on my chaise with me. I have dogs and cats in the room and they know better than to bother the rats. I keep an eye on everyone all the time to avoid any issues.

3. They will be pretty much full size at about 6 months.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts