Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, first how do I convince people that rats are cute and good, and I also have 2 cats. Will the later be a problem?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes, first how do I convince people that rats are cute and good,
That's a great question 😂, I personally do it by showing my friends how cuddly my rats can be, showing them videos of all the cool tricks they can do, telling them stories about rats (there are trained bomb sniffing rats, rats have empathy, they're ticklish), what convinced one friend is when I told her there are therapy rats.

also have 2 cats. Will the later be a problem?
I think it depends on the rat and the cat, some rats are terrified of cats and some cats want to kill rats, and sometimes they get along great. If your rats and cats won't be able to get along you can at least get your rats used to the smell of your cats so they won't be scared of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also my family has 2 houses, and I don’t know how I should do that. Should I have 2 cages, or bring one cage back and forth and how to carry them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much. I will keep that In mind :) and one of my cats is psychotic, so that might not work. Also would they like hamster balls? Like the ones that they run around in?

·
Registered
39 Posts
With the cats, be very very cautious. Don't ever leave your cats unattended with the rats, even if they seem friendly. It's not worth the risk.

I also make sure if we're going out that the cat is shut somewhere she can't get close to the rats' cages. Because we've come home before and found her sitting up next to the cage, practically drooling, and the terrified rats huddled in the other corner.

I would strongly consider keeping your rats in a room the cat never goes into (eg your bedroom) and letting them have range time in that room only.

Regarding moving them back and forth, I'd suggest getting two cages and take them between houses in a carrier. (A proper plastic one, not anything they can chew their way out of. The thought of an escaped, panicking rat darting around the car and getting under the pedals doesn't bear thinking about!) If your car is big enough then you could take their cage back and forth, but I'd still put them in a carrier for travel as they are more protected in the event of any accident.

Hamster balls - do NOT leave them in a ball unattended, and not for longer than 15 mins or so. Because the air holes in the ball could lead to ratties getting their claws stuck and injuring their little paws, and also rats pee and poo a LOT so the balls can get mucky and horrible if they're in there too long. We've tried the balls with a lot of our rats over the years. Some of them clearly don't like them at all. Some of them are not bothered - they'll happily stay in there, but won't bother rolling the ball around, and will just hop out after a couple of minutes. We've had 2 rats (1 male, 1 female) who really enjoyed using the balls and would happily trundle them around the living room. But we would always open the ball every 10 mins or so to give them an opportunity to come out if they were getting fed up.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are an expert. And thanks for the help! I will keep it in mind. No article can give answers specific to the situation. I’m glad I joined :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do not use hamster balls at all, just let them free roam while you supervise in an area that is safe and has toys and snacks and places to explore. Hamsterballs are dangerous, gross, stressful and unnecessary. They should get at least an hour of free roam every day if possible.

Do your research on rats before thinking of owning them. You need at least 2, 3 or 4 would be more recommended in case one passes away so they still have a cagemate. They only live up to roughly 3 years, it hurts when they go. A lot.

Buy a good lab block rat food and feed small amounts of fresh veggies every couple of days with tasty snacks in between but not too many!
Look up what foods are and are not safe for rats to eat.

I wouldnt recommend moving them a lot at least in the beginning really as it can be stressful. My rats will do scaredy poops just going downstairs as they're not used to it but are confident as heck in our bedroom and will climb everywhere. Watch out for wires and anything you dont want them to chew and sneaky areas they can get into, young rats are basically liquid ninjas.

Get a good sized cage which allows a good amount of vertical climbing space

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you so much. I will keep that In mind :) and one of my cats is psychotic, so that might not work. Also would they like hamster balls? Like the ones that they run around in?
hi there
Your question has never been in my mind ... haha
it is incompatible but try to find out
It's really hard there. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts