Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 20, had rats since I was 16, I started out being a fan of boys, but I started to latch onto the hyperactiveness of the ladies, Ive started to fancy them more I suppose. I have 4 rats right now. Minttu is the love of my life, but over the past 2 months, her body filled up with tumors :( She loves stealing money, chips, used pads from the trash (gross, lady, gross), and reciepts from the table.
Frank is her granddaughter, who with an accident with her mother, lost an eye. She's my pirate. She's an alpha rat, but loves cuddling in the hammock with Grandma Minttu.
Galileo is just a youngin' and is also and alpha rat, which makes her Frank's sworn enemy. And unfornately she's a pirate too. In her third day in her new home, she squeezed herself out of the bars and sadly scratched her eye. She likes cream cheese, running, and following Frank.
Wheels is staying at my friend's house because he has two boy rats (one is his brother), so he can be with other rats.

I'm also the founder and rescue manager of The Grotto Rat Rescue here in Oregon, Illinois.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Welcome! :D
Sounds like you have a active bunch
Kudos to you for starting a Rat rescue I am thinking of ways to get one off the ground here in my area.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
:lol: Well, I'm sure you'll get some hits soon. ;)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Did the Humane Society say they'd call you if they received a rattie? Or will you have to check with them all the time? I'd always wondered how that worked. :?:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Well, wouldn't it be best then, to take the animals that are brought to the humane society as soon as possible? :?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"They wouldn't take anything "small animal" smaller than a rabbit or a ferret." The Humane Society isn't as caring as it seems. Like putting older dogs down before showing it to people.
Back in highschool people would hear that I have rats and offer me to take theirs, but I couldn't take them at that time.
But I think if the animal shelter is brought a rat, they'll get ahold of me.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
That's good. Won't take anything smaller than a rabbit? Phhbbbt.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
:lol: That's awesome!

We have, um... rum, absinthe, beer, irish whiskey and cream liqueur, not to mention coffee liqueur... :lol:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi! I'm new at this forum too, but I was browsing other new member posts when I saw yours. That's awesome that you have started a rescue! To get things off the ground, I'd recommend contacting NIRO (northern IL Rat Org) and getting on their list. They can also give you a list of breeders for you to contact. It's always good to have your name with breeders just in case someone contacts them about a rescue. Building a network is the hardest and most important part in rescuing. :)

If you need any help with anything, transport or whatnot, let me know. I do small scale rescue and help out when I can. I'm in Joliet, IL. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts