Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I just lost my first rat Navi, and she has therefore left her sister Zelda behind. I had Navi for a few months before we got Zelda. Since Navi wanted all my attention and Zelda was happy doing her own thing during out of cage time, I never looked too closely and how Zelda acts and works. Since Navi's passing, I believe Zelda is fine. She is eating, drinking, and we are giving her tons and tons of attention. I don't think she is sleeping any more than normal and before Navi passed, they seemed distant so I think she got used to sleeping alone. Im not sure what the major signs are to tell if she is going downhill. I of course was thinking of getting her a new cage mate(s), but she is about 1.5 years and I'm not sure if I should get a young one, a young pair, or adopt an older rat. I just don't want to make the same mistake as before when I got them months apart and now have a possibly lonely older rat. I work a lot (especially during holiday) and I am not sure if I can commit enough time to bring in cage mates, especially since it takes a while and two cages to do this. Any tips or experiences to share? I don't want a sad rat :( Thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I would go for a young pair. If she's eating and drinking fine then she's not grieving heavily but it is worth moving quickly.

I'd recommend reading the introductions part of the behaviour section on my website there's loads of tips on there and a few method guides, though I would default to the carrier method

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would say young pair. After losing Sprite, Clover was fine in all other respects, but seemed very lonely even with all the extra attention we gave her.

We opted for a young pair and when we did the introductions, all went fine as Clover "adopted" them immediately. Clover treats the little ones like they're her kids, and I definitely think the pair is a good idea simply because when, eventually, the older rat passes there is no more intros necessary. If the older rat needs her alone time, the two younger rats can play together. And of course it's very cute for me to see Clover being a honorary mother to the 'babies' (even though they're both 5 months old now)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a single critter nation but the other day at petco i saw a chin in one of those cages in your picture and i was seriously impressed with how large it was, it does seem a little less floor space than the cn but i think it makes up with how tall the cage is so i think what you have is fine for three girlys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts