Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Achilles
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today has been upsetting to say the least.
I came home from work on a short break not long ago, and discovered Jason lying in the bottom of the cage. He'd died sometime within the three hours I'd been gone, and he seemed healthy and happy before that. After some examination of the cage, I noticed his tail and bedding were bloody and he probably had some sort of infection or parasite and he just didn't show that he was sick.
It's just sudden and confusing. I did my best taking care of these guys so suddenly having one drop dead is shocking. My only guess is that I had to move their cage for a few days because I was getting new flooring installed, and the stress could've let them get an infection or worsened one they already had.
Now Achilles is sluggish and refusing water, and hesitant to eat. And I noticed he was pooping dark blood too. He's cold, his breathing is shallow, and he doesn't want to move much. I had him wrapped up like a burrito in washcloths trying to keep him warm, and holding him. I'm afraid he doesn't have that much longer left. I had a bright idea to leave him near a candle to keep him warm while I tracked down a washcloth earlier. I'm incredibly stupid for doing that because he burnt off the whiskers on the left side of his face. I wasn't thinking straight and I ended up getting him hurt when he was already probably suffering. I don't want that to be his final memory of me. Even if he is still alive, I don't know if I should go to the vet or if he's beyond the point where he'll have a chance to make it.
It's just been a terrible day.
This is a picture of Jason when I first got him. Regrettably I can't find any pictures of Achilles.

Edit: I decided to try to get him to the vet and looked for small animal vets around me. It being a Sunday, most of them are closed. And the other vets do not accept rats.

Update: We have spent the last five hours nursing Achilles back to health by holding him in towels and blankets and encouraging him to eat and drink. He has started eating and drinking again, is less lethargic and more willing to explore, and is warm to the touch again. He is still passing blood in his urine, not sure about his poop. He's going to the vet asap tomorrow, getting a temporary home while I scrub down his cage and everything in it, and I'll be looking for new company for him so he doesn't get depressed.

Attachments

· Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,721 Posts
So sorry to hear this. Good luck with your little one. the vet is your best bet, seeing how his cage mate has passed from an unexplained illness. Please let us know how Achilles is doing.

· Registered
1,758 Posts
I am sorry,it is such a shock when you find them like that,and then to go through that with Achilles.I have never experienced anything like that,hopefully the vet will give you some answers.Wishing speedy healing to Achilles🐭💕

· Registered
Achilles
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So sorry to hear this. Good luck with your little one. the vet is your best bet, seeing how his cage mate has passed from an unexplained illness. Please let us know how Achilles is doing.
Achilles has, thank god, made a decent recovery. He lived through the night and was able to go to the vet this afternoon, who said he was alright, but got some antibiotics for good measure. He is currently in his smaller quarantine cage burrowed in a bunch of towels. He was recommended to be given lots of fruits and vegetables high in vitamin C, so he has a few pieces of sweet bell pepper in there. I'm going to be cleaning his bigger cage and everything in it with diluted bleach and drying it outside. It's still upsetting that Jason has passed, but it's good that Achilles could live.

· Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,721 Posts
Good news, thank you for letting us know. Achilles is a survivor, good job!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts