Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay this might sound dumb but I was wondering if a rat like a black hoodie or a black or other various colored rat has that pigmentation on the skin.

I checked my black hoodie Adie and I found black pigmentation in various spots in her 'hood' and I also noticed the hair is rougher.

It just seemed odd to me that she just had those random spots rather than the entire hood.

I've noticed that some hairless rats will have markings too and I've noticed ones that are dark all over...does that have to do with potential hair color?

This was just out of my oun curiosity I didn't know if this had a simple answer or not.

someone educate me please lol ^-^

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I'm not too sure regarding the hoodeds etc. I have to say that I've personally never noticed - I have one hooded, Ritchie, who at one point lost most of his fur through mange. I never remember seeing any pigmentation difference between the dark hair area and the white hair area until the fur started growing back.

But you are right about hairless. My black hairless, Katie, had darker skin (she had no body fur, only face fuzz, so it wasn't fur) than all my current white-furred hairless. Hers was more of a 'purple' colour, where as the whites are pink.

It's not much of an answer, sorry. Maybe others can help

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hair and skin color is genetically determined by the melanocytes in the underlying tissues. Melanocytes are the cells that produce melanin, and the amount of melanin produced varies in types and locations.

Now, melanin is found both in the hair itself, and in the skin. The two are not mutually exclusive, but are often in the same location. They don't always follow the same pattern though.

As to the hairs - it's possible that she has more primary (guard) hairs in the area, and that is what you're noticing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this was really helpful ^-^
I was talking to one of my teachers and they said about the same thing.

thanks guys for your insight

Nikki >.<

1 - 4 of 4 Posts