Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... A little thing I gave my ratties!

So my boys are living separately at the moment due to illness (which is getting better), and although I get them out during the day a lot, I don't want them to get bored.

Went to my local supermarket and bought two salad cress boxes, they cost 24p from tesco (about 50c for you yanks ;)). I took them out of the plastic casing so they looked a little like this:

I then just gave them to them on a little saucer, in each of their cages. They immediately began eating the cress and digging in the soil, they loved it!

If you don't mind cleaning up soily mess, I recommend trying this with grass or cress etc.

:)

·
Registered
520 Posts
LOVE IT! I have an outdoor play area for them that I recently built - it is a play pen (4ft x 6ft approx) with a sand box, swimming pool, toys, and a digging box. I have never thought about adding some edible goodness to the box!

You're a genius!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sparker said:
You're a genius!
I can live with that kind of praise! ;)

My boyfriend and I were doing an online grocery shop and saw them in the 'salad' section. So cheap, I'll be getting them again.

The cress has been mooshed into the soil now, since all they did was nibble a bit, and then decide that smushing the soil everywhere was much more fun!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sparker hun have you got a pic of your play area? I am trying to make a play are for my rats that they will be safe in but i have no idea how to go about it. I have looked for a rat playpen but can only find hamster ones which is no good for my ratties! I would love to see what you have done!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had the same problem! My husband and I just bought a new house (yay!) and everything I own is in boxes right now, but I would be happy to take a pic as soon as I get it set up again in the back yard.

In the mean time, I had the same problem you are having...

If you use chicken wire, they climb out. If you use plastic, you cant see them and there is no air circulation. What I ended up doing was building one like this:

Build the frame of a box out of two by fours (I chose not to give it a top or a bottom) and cover it with chicken wire or whatever for the bottom foot of the frame. Then, I took thin acrylic (from Lowe's) and attached it all the way around above the chicken wire. I made the whole thing 2.5ft tall.

Because of the acrylic, they can't climb out - but they can still breathe.

Again, I'll take a picture.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The best I can do this morning - :p

·
Registered
520 Posts
The best I can do this morning - :p

*** I cannot for the life of me get this stupid thing to upload pictures! :evil: ***

Help?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The link you're using isn't a useable 'picture' link... it would have to end in .jpg, .png, .gif, etc.

·
Registered
447 Posts
anyone here ever here of hardware cloth it looks like this and is very good for making playpens and cages for rats..

tht should be the right code.

they come in rolls like this one!

heres an example of a low class cage made out of hardware cloth

heres an example of a playpen made out of hardware cloth..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts