Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Apologies if this sounds horribly insensitive but it's something I've been thinking about for a while.

If you have had rats who have passed away (and I know quite a few of you have), how old were they? Addo is about 8/9 months and Edgar is about 3 months, and sometimes I think about poor Addo and losing him, and I can't stand it! I don't really know the age span of rats! I heard it was up to like 3 years.

Addo has SLIGHT respiratory problems but we went to the vet for his bi-monthly checkup yesterday and the vet said he's one of the healthiest looking and seeming rats he's ever dealt with.

Feedback from experiences would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys : >

·
Registered
520 Posts
Well, all of my rats have been pet store rats... (I only rescue. Hand-me-down rats or from actual rescues, so I am sure that they all ORIGINALLY came from pet stores.)

Therefore, they usually don't live very long.

Melon (my heart-rat, and first rat ever) only lived to about a year. Maybe a little less. She spent the majority of her life with BAD myco. I spent (about) $800 throughout her life on abs, steroids, different treatments, exams, etc. The most helpful thing I ever did for her is give her a twice a week "steam bath" in a ten gallon tank with a facial spa thing inside.

Sam is still alive and is over 24months. She is as healthy as a horse and doesn't seem nearly as old as she is. I think it depends mostly on genetics.

Of course, good nutrition, vet care and a clean cage go a long way.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sparker said:
Melon (my heart-rat, and first rat ever) only lived to about a year. Maybe a little less. She spent the majority of her life with BAD myco. I spent (about) $800 throughout her life on abs, steroids, different treatments, exams, etc. The most helpful thing I ever did for her is give her a twice a week "steam bath" in a ten gallon tank with a facial spa thing inside.
My baby had to be put to sleep yesterday, and she was only about a year and a half old. She was also a pet store rat. I spent nearly as much as Sparker did on her rat during the last week of Jezebel's life, but I believe it was a couple of strokes that did her in. She was also my first rat and my special baby.

Make sure you keep them as happy as possible, you never know just how long you're going to have them. That's not to say you should be paranoid, just aware that every moment is precious.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Macabri said:
Make sure you keep them as happy as possible, you never know just how long you're going to have them. That's not to say you should be paranoid, just aware that every moment is precious.
Exactly.

"People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life and learn to love fully. Animals already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

·
Registered
219 Posts
If rat dont get a disease, bad genetics or tumor, it will indeed live 2,5-3,5 years.
My rats are almost 2 years old now. They are from petstore, so lucky me.
And i will gt two six weeks old rats today. They are from breeder.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If rat dont get a disease, bad genetics or tumor, it will indeed live 2,5-3,5 years.
My rats are almost 2 years old now. They are from petstore, so lucky me.
And i will gt two six weeks old rats today. They are from breeder.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
The majority of my mischief are now well over a year and a half - I think they're due to turn 2 years between march and may next year. They're all petshop.

Then again, I've lost a few (poor Luke and Eddie - Andy's brothers) young, at just over a year old for reasons that we've never figured out. But, so far, minus poor little Oz who died at 6 weeks old, and Luke and Eddie, all my rattos have been coming up for the 2 year mark, or passed it, before they passed away.

Again, as people have said, you just don't know. You just have to make sure that they are as pampered and spoilt as if today is their last day - and make every little rattie moment count

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have lost rats as early as 9 months old ("breeder" rat) to 26 months old (two brothers from a proper breeder). I had one petsore boy make it to abou 25 months old, but my other two petstore rats have passed at about 18 months. It depends so much on the individuals though, as I have Remy is a petstore rat who is over a year and a half and still going very strong. My rescue girl is a few months younger than Remy and her breathing issues have started to flair up again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts