Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in ferrets for a little while before, and it said if a female ferret is not bred while in heat, it could lead to fatal injury(I guess mentally) 8O . Is this the same with rats?
P.S. What rat is better for beginners? Males or Females?

·
Registered
261 Posts
females are much, MUCH better rats for begginers. rats also need to be bred in heat, but it will not lead to fatal injury. the breeding just won't work if the female rat is in heat :roll:. very good question, carol :D. ive never had the experience of having a male rat; i have only had females as pets. but i do know, like most ratlovers do, female rats are better pets for begginer rat owners. good luck with your new ratties, im so exited for you :).

EDIT -not that male rats aren't good pets :wink:.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I have to disagree with rattusnorvegis on this only because it is all a personal preference on whether you want males or females. Males tend to be more laid back and easier to handle (i.e. hold and love on) where as girls want to explore and run about. Personally I enjoy males much better than girls. And rats do NOT NEED to be bred whenever they go into heat or that would be every 4-6 days!!!! Please do not breed rats unless you KNOW exactly what you are doing.

As far as the ferrets go I think that the only reason they need to be bred is because they tend to have adrenal gland issues (not sure never had a ferret) but someone who has ferrets may be able to tell you differently.

I started with male rats and currently have 9 males and 5 females (never bred) and they are all GLORIOUS pets even for beginners.

:EDIT: Males tend to have fewer "major" health issues than females. Females are prone to tumors more so than males as well as infections of the uterus and other things. The most serious issues I have had to deal with on my males are abscesses, and head tilt where as I have dealt with tumors and growths and temperament issues with all of my females.

:EDIT AGAIN: spelling

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
rattusnorvegicus said:
females are much, MUCH better rats for begginers. rats also need to be bred in heat, but it will not lead to fatal injury. the breeding just won't work if the female rat is in heat :roll:. very good question, carol :D. ive never had the experience of having a male rat; i have only had females as pets. but i do know, like most ratlovers do, female rats are better pets for begginer rat owners. good luck with your new ratties, im so exited for you :).

EDIT -not that male rats aren't good pets :wink:.
Ummm..pick a side, any side :roll:

We DO NOT advocate any deliberate breeding of any rats on this site, unless you are one of the few responsible, ethical breeders, and are trying to improve the pet rat overall.

I would say for a beginner, males would be easiest. It actually depends on the person's personality. If they generally want a monkey rat who's into everything, very active, doesn't particularly stay still for patting sessions, but is very happy amusing themselves and you, this is your typical female. Males can be just as active, but the majority will become very much more like laprats or couch potatoes when they are older. Babies of both sexes are usually insane :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Female ferrets must be bred when they go into heat because unlike other animals, they don't go into heat for a set period of time. Female ferrets go into heat until they are bred. If they are not bred, constant blood-flow to the uterus and vagina will most likely cause her to become anemic and possibly to die. That's why female ferrets must always be spayed. Female rats go into heat for a set period of time, so do not require spaying for this reason. It is suggested to spay them for tumor issues, though, as spaying greatly reduces the chances of mammary and pituitary tumors.

(I was going to get ferrets before my husband and I decided on rats. Did extensive research on them too. :D )

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everything, guys! :) YOU ALL ROCK! 8) *thumbs up* I think I'm the male type. Never was that active. :wink:

·
Registered
626 Posts
It really depends on wether you want a lap rat of more of a entergetic rattie. :D (Boys tend to not get super sick where as females are more prone to tumors and infections)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts