Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is Katt & Sparklez's 4 level house, it is 2' x 2' x 3' 4"

it's a bit huge for just two girls and I have a question, is there a reason why I can't get them to explore the bottom 2 floors, I even tried to get them to explore the bottome two floors by putting them on the bottom floor today after cleaning the cage and they climbed up the side of the cage to get to the top, I can hardly get them to go to the second floor :(

I put a well cleaned out plastic coffee can with a hole cut out of it in the top floor for them to hidy in, but all they do is lay on top of it, does anyone know why they won't go into it to lay down...I have a piece of fleece in it as well, but it's a no go...crazy girls

·
Registered
263 Posts
Top levels look so decorated, but the bottom two look pretty bland in comparison. Perhaps they'er not nearly enticing as the top two?

And don't worry if they don't lay down IN it. My hardly ever venture inside their igloo, they like to sleep /behind/ it. They might sleep in whatever hidey house I have handy if they really like it- like that little basket they went nuts for, but, it's not horrible if they don't. Cool cage, by the way =)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i second zimmyzam, there just isn't much down there to be interesting. maybe try putting a wheel or a hammock or two down there. i get mine to use the bottom levels by having the wheel and the food down there as well as a an igloo and a cracker box for them to destroy. i have a litter pan down there too and they are starting to get better at using it.

remember though most rats like to be up high to sleep. the favorite spot of any cage is going to be the highest spot.

as for using the igloo like its intended? well the rats will decide that. mine will sleep in and on them or beside them. i even have a rat that LOVES the wheel as a nest.... much to the other rat's dislike as she LOVES the wheel as an actual wheel and has to haul all the first's rat's junk (and sometimes the first rat) out before she can use it as its supposed to be. so long as they have fun with it i wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have that cage too and my little girls look so lost in it!
Anywho, I agree with what's been said above. Try rearranging the stuff on the top levels to it's more evenly dispersed on the bottom or add more stuff to the bottom levels. Try putting some toys or treats down there, and when you put them away stick them down in the bottom.

My girls would run all over when I first got them, and would almost sleep exclusivly on the top level only. Then they got a bit more adventurous and now one is almost always in the ball I hung in a corner and the other likes to sleep at the top of that stupid spiral slidey thing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your advice, it has been really helpful :)

I found a new thing the girls LOVE playing in and thats a oven mitt hung upside down, I put a hanging hook on the loop of the mitt and added a tiny hole on the other side and hung it up in one of the cage corners and they absolutely love it...I honestly didn't think they would even go in it

·
Registered
323 Posts
Try switching some of their favorite toys to one of the two bottom levels. Aslo, try some treats and other things they really like.

Hope that helped!:)

·
Registered
323 Posts
cool cage

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Lovin that cage
Jess x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts