Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been useing kaytee forti-diet for my 3 rats for about a month, is that brand ok for rats? if not could someone tell me a better brand and where to find it? any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Kaytee (and L'M, as far as I am aware) aren't generally recommended. They contain many poor/filler ingredients (corn, alfalfa) and many fattening ingredients (the seeds, etc).

Kaytee may also contain a compound that may cause cancer (I believe this in in the blocks, not the seed mix).

Generally, we'd recommended Harlan Teklad lab blocks, Oxbow rat food, or Suebee's + a high quality low-protein dog food.

·
Registered
343 Posts
There is a cancer causing ingrediant in Kaytee...ethoxyquin. They use many fillers, chemicals and preservatives. It has no nutritional value.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks i'll have to order some new food, thanks guys you guys on this site are really helpful!

Edit: i can't find any of those foods can some one give me a link for any of them. i'd really appreciate it

·
Registered
133 Posts
Does anyone here know much about hamster diet? There are a couple dwarf hamsters at the shelter I volunteer at, and they're SO sweet and cuddly (and nibbly, they never bite, but they're always nibbling my fingertips) and I was wondering what hamsters need in their diet. Would HT be good for them? I have HT, already for my rats. I don't know if I'll be adopting them, because we have enough rodents/lagomorphs in my home, but I was curious about their diet.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've never heard of Oxbow until just a few days ago someone mentioned it in another thread. Where do you find that? Is it sold in pet stores, or do you have to order that online too?

·
Registered
343 Posts
My rats tried Oxbow...they wouldn't touch it. I know its one of the best though. To bad my rats don't like it. :p

I wouldn't feed rat food to a hamster. They have different diet needs. I can't really help about what to feed, though, because I do not know.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Seed mixes aren't good for hamsters either.
In Canada, there is a product called Nutriblocks for rodents, that would be ideal for hamsters as well as Hagen Xtrusion for Hamsters.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
twilight said:
My rats tried Oxbow...they wouldn't touch it. I know its one of the best though. To bad my rats don't like it. :p
If you leave it long enough, they will eat it. Only give them treats or fresh foods once they've finished their staple diet. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts