Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of course you will need a vet that you trust and of course you will need a vet that has experience or at least confidence with you rats but when they prescribe something to you keep in mind that they can charge whatever they want for it. there are places where there is a 450% mark-up. often you can get the exact same meds from the pharmacy for a fraction of the cost if you get a prescription from your vet.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/cat_got_your_wallet/

just something to keep in mind while dealing with and finding your vet.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Ridiculous isn't it?

I can tell the difference with what 'can' be charged and what they actually pay for the medicine at my vet. If I see the Evil Lady vet - a bottle of baytril will cost £50 (if she's feeling nice) to £80!!! BUT the nice vet will charge me cost price - £20!

Evil Lady vet will charge £70 for a whiff of anaesthetic for an xray, xray charge on top of that - my nice vet will charge £30 for anaesthetic AND the xray.

Unfortunately, I don't see the pet-medicine market getting any sense of control any time soon. Most vets make all their money from overcharging - what vet would voluntarily lower their overall profit in order to be more 'consumer friendly'. Psh - not many that I know

·
Registered
138 Posts
I usually pay about $30 for 20ml of baytril which isn't too bad.

some vets just love their money lol I had to pay $95 for an emergency vet visit for them to tell me to go somewhere else because they couldn't tell us anything about our rat. After we had called ahead to see if they had someone that could see her. These past two weeks have inspired me to become a vet lol.

Nikki >.<

1 - 3 of 3 Posts