Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My last rat passed away a few months ago and I'm looking to adopt some more in the near future.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem. My past rats were kept in my room, and the new ones will be as well. The issue is, I always had to keep my door shut due to curious cats. I really didn't like to have to do this, shutting my other animals permanently out of my room, but I had to for the safety of my rats. Also, it just made me feel really isolated from the rest of the house.

My question is, does anyone have any ideas how to block off the cage so the cats can't get to them? Of course my door will always be shut when the rats are playing outside of it, I'm asking for when they're caged and I'm in the room with them.

My rat's safety always comes first though and if I always have to keep the door shut I will, but I appreciate any suggestions. :)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
How curious are your cats? I mean have they actually tried attacking the rats through the bars?

I have 5 cats & foster kittens. All of my older cats were curious at first but once they realized they couldnt get to them, the rats became pretty boring to them. A few weeks and they just barely ever even noticed they were there unless the rats were being super nosey & still they would often just glance in the direction but not actually go investigate.

Now my youngest and some of the fosters were much more adventurous. They would be stuck like glue on the cage and even attempt to climb it.

Currently my rats are kept in my bedroom with the door shut all day because my rats free range there during the day. But at night when everyone is safely in their cages & I go to sleep the door is open and the cats often sleep in my room or with me. Not one of them now even gives the rats a second notice.

I do not think anything you could really do to block the cage off would work. if a cat wants past it bad enough it probably could and a cat that doesn't probably is not worth worrying about.

I your cage secure enough? If you are only going to leave your door open with you in the room, I dont see the problem. Let the cats investigate, if they start being buggy/sticking paws through the bars or swatting at them then tell them no and remove them. They should learn quickly.

·
Registered
161 Posts
A lot of cats like to go on top of the cage. I heard putting a wooded board with sticky pads on it keeps the cats off of it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
We had the rats first and got the cats as kittens. The first cage i had was on top of an end table and we kept it away from where the cats could reach. However they often reached up to get a better look. Ive had rats freeze at the smell of cats, ive had rats attack the cats paws through the cage, and ive had rats who were indifferent. We used to keep a coffee tin with coins on the table that we would shake if the cats got too close. Now that theyre adults and we have a CN much closer to the ground, they look but dont touch. We call it CatTV lol.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My cats ignore my rats now. I only shut the door to them if I have the rats out of the cage. There is no way the cats can get into the cage. I think once they figured that out they gave up and no longer care. But I also have a DCN so they'd just be on the top level and weren't really bothered by the cats.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My cat always thought my rats were gross, she'd walk in the room, smell them and leave with a disgusted look on her face, which is funny considering she used to try to kill everything when she was an outdoor cat. Best thing to do is have your rats in a separate room from your cats. I always have my boy's room closed off from my cat, and have a tapestry hanging in the hallway doorway so she wont come to the door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts