Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's dropping down to the 30s today where I live and I'm curious about how best to keep my boys warm I keep them in the warmest room of the house but I'm still a bit worries about them getting chilly especially Scabbers because he has been a bit sick lately and I don't want him to get worse

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you have central heating, keep the cage near (but not directly in front of) the heat vent, maybe? I keep ours near the steam radiator. I wonder, if you put a blanket over the cage at night, would that be bad for their air circulation? Even if you left the front uncovered? I do this for my bird and have considered it for the rats but again, not sure.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Do you have multiple ratties? it sounded like it by your post. I live in wisconsin and i sometimes worry about that as well because it drops below zero here lol. My rats also are very picky about where they sleep and of course never use the nice`fuzzy beds i buy and make for them. They only sleep in a cardboard soda box that i recycle for them lol. One thing I give them is napkins though that they like to put down as bedding in their soda box so i hope that helps as some warmth but I think for the most part they stay warm enough just by cuddling, which they always do and I'm sure yours do too, and if they don't they will if they are cold! And I did go looking for a hanging bed for them that I thought would be warm and was pretty cheap so i thought I would buy it and see if maybe they'd use it and low and behold they loved it. They would fight over it and all try and cram inside it even though it wasn't big enough for the 3 of them. So there is still hope for finding something out there that's not too expensive that they will use and will provide some warmth. I'm gonna buy them another one cuz they have chewed up their first one. Another thing I will do is give them extra fleece besides the fleece I attach to the floor so they can sleep underneath it and use it as a blanket. They like to hide under it. Hope that helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts