Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I need help.
When I clean the cages, I put fleece down and then secure it, then I put bedding down in the litter box (I keep some dirty in there so they know that's where to go). BUT they just throw all of it out of the box, and everything is a mess again right after I've cleaned. I don't know what to do.
I clean every two-three weeks but this is getting to where I have to clean every week. I'm a struggling college student and don't have time to clean a lot. Does anyone have any advice? Please help.
Thank you!
-Jas

·
Registered
581 Posts
Could you get a grate for the litter pan?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
rats aren't meant to be tidy creatures. They are much happier digging, foraging and making a mess. Why not move them to aspen or another substrate and use that rather than there fleece. That way they can exercise there rattyness without the cage looking messy afterwards

·
Registered
539 Posts
I clean weekly on Saturday or Sunday. But then, I have 4 rats in a DFN, and one of my girls is particularly messy.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I do a quick sweep and once or twice everyday depending on if the cage needs it. Usually it will be food that has to be put back in the food bowl and litter that needs to be put back in the litter pan. It takes me about 1-2 minutes to do. You can try getting a grate for the litter pan.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I deep clean the cage every 4-5 days depending on how it smells.

Generally when I deep clean, I take out the plastic bottom of their cage and wash it with baby shampoo and then put vinegar in it and hot water and fill it to the brim and let it sit for about 5 mins or so. I do this with all their toys also.

Then every morning/night I'll fix the fleece placement and put all their toys back how it was and put any poop in the litter box etc.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I second a litter box with a grate or just switching to aspen bedding. You can keep hanging fixtures made of fleece or cover shelves with it, but keeping the main level aspen or paper bedding will keep them happy and they probably won't be as destructive with any fleece items in the cage (if that is an issue). I use fleece and litter boxes with grates and there's hardly ever any aspen out of the litter boxes. I do sometimes catch them sticking their little paws in there...probably dropped a treat or something lol

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I only clean out about every 2-3 weeks. I spot clean (get rid of old wet food/veg and chcuk out any smelly bedding) every day or so as needed but i dont need to do a full cleanout more often. This was true even when the rats were in the front room of the house with my oversensitive husband.

The trick is to use a good quality substrate, get rid of shelves (they are wee traps), not clean out too often (this makes them mark/smell more) and to not overpopulate the cages (i have up to 6 in a cage that could easily fit 12).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, could they be in one of those cages that are meant for rabbits? I have them in a giant cage but they don't really need to be. If I moved cages, it would be easier to clean and they would have more fun digging around, you know? What do you think?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts