Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I know when I first joined, I was trying to rationalize Khloe's lone existance by saying that just because rats are social animals doesn't mean they are neccessarily unhappy living alone. (See, my boyfriend didn't realize he liked rats until I got one. ;)) Well, after a couple of weeks, I noticed she was being shut off in a room by herself a lot of the time, (because I have a Jack Russell Terrier [and if you don't know the nature of JRTs, I suggest you read this]) and...well, rat and JRT couldn't be in the same room together, because Emily (the dog) was constantly (and I do mean constantly) trying to eat Khloe.

So I had to make a quick decision. I know quarantine is always heavily recommended, but I didn't want to risk the chance that she might get to a point that she wouldn't accept a friend. (And I didn't have a quarantine cage handy). So after debating over the issue, I decided to get her a friend without the quarantine. I've only had Khloe about three weeks, and they're from the same place, so I don't really feel like I was taking too much of a gamble.

The new rat is much younger and smaller than Khloe, I'm guessing around 4-5 weeks. Her name is Xoe (pronounced Zoey) and she is a black berkshire with standard ears. She's very nervous and shy, which is the total opposite of Khloe, who is extremely outgoing and playful. She will let me pick her up and pet her and she'll ride on my shoulders, but if she has a place to hide, she will stay there. When I'm holding her or she's sitting on my shoulders, she's very still. Do you think she'll come out of her shell as she grows? I know Khloe was a little reserved in the beginning but she wasn't THAT bad.

Also, I'm wondering if maybe Khloe isn't helping. She isn't attacking Xoe or anything, but she's very persistant to groom her when she gets near, she pins her if Xoe gets too close while she's eating, and tonight I saw what I THINK was...to put it not so nicely...humping. And I am 100% positive that they are both females. Is humping a normal occurrence between same sex rats? I'm just curious.

I do feel that Khloe enjoys Xoe's company, I'm just curious if she's being a little rough and overwhelming. Like I said, she hasn't openly attacked her from what I can tell, and no blood has been drawn. I'm just starting to worry if I threw everything together too fast.

At any rate, I'll soon be posting pictures of Xoe. I just need to get some batteries for my camera. :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
You should do intros, even if you feel like you can skip quarantine. Read the sticky, it could just be that she's being overly territorial, but getting to know the new rat on non-threatening grounds might help.

Also, if you say she's much more shy, she might just be a submissive rat, and Khloe is going a little overboard enjoying her company.

But yay for new rat! I'm sure Khloe is thrilled!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CaptainFlow said:
You should do intros, even if you feel like you can skip quarantine. Read the sticky, it could just be that she's being overly territorial, but getting to know the new rat on non-threatening grounds might help.

Also, if you say she's much more shy, she might just be a submissive rat, and Khloe is going a little overboard enjoying her company.

But yay for new rat! I'm sure Khloe is thrilled!
I forgot to mention that I did intro them outside of the cage, and then I put Xoe in the cage while Khloe was free-ranging. Khloe does seem to have calmed down a bit since Tuesday. I'm just being a concerned mommy now and I feel like I'm being a bad owner. :(

Thanks for the reply. :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
it sounds like they are doing okay. maybe the next time you clean the cage, you can rearrange hammocks, water bottles, etc, and super-clean it so that some of khloe's territorial aggression could wind down?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts