Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you know I took a bit I a gamble and broke quarantine to put Cosmo in with Milo because he was stressed out as a single rat and inflicting self harm. Cosmo has put a stop to that and has also helped him recover from his eye surgery which is great, but now I'm afraid that maybe Cosmo brought something home.

Yesterday I noticed a few sneezes but they were very sparse with a lot of time in between so I figured maybe it was just them sticking their noses into something that didn't agree. Today I've noticed some more frequent sneezes from Milo in particular. He gave a wet sneeze on my hand and then I noticed his nose drip a few times and it was kind of... Damp? For a few minutes afterwards but now its normal again.

Could this be a start of a URI? My room (where the rats cage is) has also been a bit drafty lately as my window needs resealed and I've fallen asleep with my ceiling fan on the past few nights. They have lots of fleece to snuggle in of course but still figured perhaps the draft might play a little role.

Cosmo has a few sneezes here and there too but not really to Milo's extent, Milo maybe sneezes twice every 7 minutes or so and Cosmo once every 10-15. Leo and Stitch seem fine (though they are at the bottom of the cage which is a lot less draftier than the top where Milo and Cosmo are. Physically, they appear to be in good health, not any porphyrin around eyes or nose and not lethargic.

I was wondering if there's any over the counter medicines I could give them without seeing a vet? I know that would be ideal but after Milo's surgery only a few weeks ago my rat vet money is basically non-existent and my parents would not take kindly to toting the rats to the vet over a few sniffles (no matter how much explaining I do). Would low doses of children's Benadryl be okay to give? They're both in the 400 grams range.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any help is greatly apperciated, I'd really like to nip this in the bud before/if it progresses.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
With the frequent sneezing, I am inclined to say that there is a possibility that Cosmo brought something with him to the other rat. I would just keep an eye on them for now and possibly look at eliminating anything you think may be contributing to their sneezing symptoms - irritants in the air or bedding, drafts, strong scents or cleaners etc. Try to analyse if there has been anything new in the environment that may be causing their respiratory systems to be affected - a change in scenery perhaps or stress factors. I would not give the Benadryl personally but you can try giving them some raw natural honey and make sure they stay hydrated.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually my mom just had a good point. I was talking to her about their sneezing and I've been spending some quality time with Milo on the couch out in the living room and he hasn't sneezed once. During free range Milo and Cosmo stay on the futon, they haven't discovered the floor yet, and that is where they are sneezing. Leo and Stitch spend most of their time on the floor running around and in their box fort, they rarely set foot on the futon and I haven't heard any sneezes from them.

My dad bought me a 30 rolls of old yarn as a joke from the flea market and I had them out on the futon the day before, and they have a very musty and dusty smell, my mom pointed out that that might be what's irritating the little ones. Going to wash the futon down and see if they're still having problems tomorrow.

Thanks! If it still persists I'll start giving them the honey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts