Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My baby boy Kirby just died at 12 today. Luckily, I got to be there for his last moments. Should I let his brothers see his body?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I would suggest letting them see Kirby, yes.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
i would think so because how would you like it if your friends body vanished of the face of the earth. RIP kirby was the best rat in the universe. sooooooooooooooooooooo sorry for your loss. hope the rest of the rats are doing well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss, I can only imagine how hard it must be. I read somewhere it is advised to leave the living friends with the body until they lose interest. That way they process that their friend is in fact dead not missing. Let's them mourn, hope it's helpful and that you're able to get some support for yourself through this time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wanted to let my rats smell Mia when she passed away but my exotic vet recommended not to let Regan smell her. She said that sometimes it could cause bad reactions, aggression etc. and could be traumatic for the owner and could make the rats act out if you just brought back the body to them. I think it's different if the rat passes and their friends find them. But that was from my vet, I'm sure all rats react differently and all owners have their own ways of doing things. =( Sorry for your loss

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I don't know why, but I usually let my rats see their lost friend one last time, they usually just sniff and go off... but I've heard of all kinds of different reactions from different people... I doubt there's a right answer... In nature I'm sure some rats set out to forage and then just never come home. And if you think about it, rats turn up and disappear at the pet shop all of the time. I can't say if rats prefer closure or not for sure.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts