Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl Aurora is quite tiny for her age compared to my other rat I find. She's 6 months old and fluctuates from 265-270 grams.

My other rat is roughly 370 grams but is a month older. But she's always stealing Aurora's food and eating it.

Tonight I gave Aurora some whiskas brand kitten milk formula with one of her favourite baby foods mixed in for flavour.

Should I be giving her this extra meal once a day to ensure she's getting all she needs? Is this a good way to go about it?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm not sure you have to help Aurora gain weight. If she is a month younger than the older rat, there is a good chance that she will catch up over the next month. If she is hungry, then an extra meal likely wouldn't hurt her, but I wouldn't obsess about it, as long as enough food is available to them.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure you have to help Aurora gain weight. If she is a month younger than the older rat, there is a good chance that she will catch up over the next month. If she is hungry, then an extra meal likely wouldn't hurt her, but I wouldn't obsess about it, as long as enough food is available to them.
Thanks for replying to me!

She gobbles it up when I give it to her and she seems to enjoy it. Basically all in wondering is if it's safe to give her kitty formula everyday for the next little bit in hopes that she gains a little bit.

They always have oxbow regal rat available to them also which she eats quite a bit of.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Soy infant formula I heard is most similar to rat's milk. Goat's milk is also a great ratty milk substitute. You can try either of those and see if she likes them? Ensure is another good thing to give to gain weight, and Nutrical is great too.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I wouldn't give kitten formula as it would be too high in protein which is not good for a rats long term health. She's a young lean girl, at this age and probably doesn't need any supplementing. Is she active, bright, Happy, eating well? Then don't worry. Rats come in different sizes, just like us, they also develop at different ages.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She is active, drinks and eats well!
However her health isn't perfect. When I first got her she had a lot of trouble with her health (which was treated over an extended period of time).

Once I got her and watched her closely I think she's a rat that was bred without the person knowing what they were doing. Meaning that she's sneezy a little bit but she's in perfectly good health otherwise. She's been to the vet and has been treated and checked up on and he said she's perfectly fine.

So basically I'm just trying to find ways to keep her healthier and possibly put on some weight to stay healthier. But as I'm new to owning rats, my approach wasn't the right one. I'll give her a little extra but not in high protein. Maybe like a piece of carrot or broccoli or something small to make up for the food that Bebe steals from her at feeding time.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me. I really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Infant soy formula is what I supplemented with. The girls adored it. As mentioned, kitty formula has too much protein.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts