Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheshire is doing this wierd digging/kneading thing on my hand and legs. I was giving him his Clindamycin in baby food and he just started doing it. It's a gentle digging motion so I referred to it as kneading. But his hands don't curl like a cats would. More like slow flat hand kneading. Has this happened to anyone before?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm sorry. I just noticed this went in the wrong section. I meant for it to be in Behavior.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
If he is digging and an intact male it could be territorial. IF he got something sticky on his paws he could be rubbing them clean :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Daww. He did grab some baby food. I'm going with the sticky paws cause that's just too cute. Thank you! =)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Omg. So I just noticed what he's doing! When he does that and moves he's rubbing his chin along the ground. It's like the beginning stage of him moving as if feeling the ground out. Then he'll spread his front legs out and just slide along the floor like a seal...I think the hole from his abscess itches. It looks funny when he does it but I'm trying to stop him cause I don't want it to get irritated. This turned out to be a health thing after all! Lol Thanks again lilspaz.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If his medicine is sticky, the chin rubbing could also be him trying to get it off of his face. I've noticed a couple of my rats do that after being given medicine. If his abscess was in that area though, it is definitely a good idea to keep an eye on it as you said.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
The chin wipe often accompanies the paw rub. Lol. As mentioned above is this all happening after meds/sticky stuff?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. It does happen after meds. The one isn't sticky though. It's Chlorohexidine so its more of a sudsy cleanser. I'm watching him, and I try to put him on my fuzzy pants or back on the fleece while he's doing it so it's soft rather than scratchy on the carpet. Like kksrats said, he might just be trying to get it off his face.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts