Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow at 2pm the traveling vet is coming to my home to pts my two elderly females.

Today I'm just letting them free range my bedroom all day with me in the bed. Mr. Riana is stuck with dishes and dealing with the electrician.

It's been a wonderful two and a half years with them and I'm heart broken to let them go while they still have energy but I don't want them to suffer more than they already are. Ginko has mobility issues due to large tumors and Nui just won't respond favorably to any medication for her breathing issues. They both are struggling to keep weight on and I know sooner rather than after things go really bad is best. I don't want to wake up and find either has passed in the night so I'll bravely hold them and let them go in the kindest way possible- at home with our vet. I'm tearing up right now writing this.

I wrote about them in a blog post so I won't repeat their back story, but I will say knowing there will never be another of either of them I wish I had more time.

Their departure leaves me with only rat men, who will I'm sure comfort me after the girls' are buried on the bank of the St. Lawrence river.

For now I'll enjoy their last day of bumpy and wheezy popcorning and hope for cuddles and kisses later.

My condolences to ask of you who have lost someone, this is hard. Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Very sad news ;(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been a sad day. We had fun today, tomorrow morning we'll have more cuddles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
sooooo sorry to hear you're going to have to go through the only thing our wee fuzzies ever do 'wrong', leave us. ((((hugs))))

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My heart goes out to you. :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The girls were buried by the river this afternoon. I'm so thankful to have cared for them.
Thank you all for your kind wishes. I'm going to go cry for a while now... Scritches to all of your fuzzbutts!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
So so sorry.. It's always so hard.. I saw some of your posts about them and they seemed like the sweetest little souls. I'm so sorry for your loss, but we will all agree with your decision that you did the right thing and made sure they didn't suffer too long in their condition. It seems very clear that they loved you back very much.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Last night, I was thinking of something I might write you to make you feel better... Despite a couple false starts, I couldn't come up with at thing... Instead I wound up playing with our new pup Misty and she made me feel better...

I hope your other rats can help you find some comfort too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rat Daddy, it's the greatest thing, they did!! They are always such a joy to be around, but they were extra sweet yesterday :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob,

It was easier than I thought it would be. I think having a vet who came to my house and let me hold them instead of taking them in the back of a clinic never to be seen again made it more intimate and caring. I buried them snuggled together, as they lived.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So so sorry.. It's always so hard.. I saw some of your posts about them and they seemed like the sweetest little souls. I'm so sorry for your loss, but we will all agree with your decision that you did the right thing and made sure they didn't suffer too long in their condition. It seems very clear that they loved you back very much.
They absolutely were amazing girls! My first girls actually! I miss them so much. On my run today I ran past their grave and stood a minute. Felt better. I'm still pretty sad and I cry sort of randomly if I think about them. Such loves! Sigh...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. My fat little Heart Rat, Shawn, passed away 5 days ago, so I know how you're feeling.
You did the right thing, letting them go.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm so sorry for your loss. My fat little Heart Rat, Shawn, passed away 5 days ago, so I know how you're feeling.
You did the right thing, letting them go.
oh 2ratshack! I'm sorry about Shawn :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts