Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
something is most definitely wrong with my rat brigitta. it started when I heard loud labored breathing coming from the rat cages. I lost my first rat to breathing issues after a very long battle that lasted months so i recognized the noise immediately. I started some detective work to figure out who the noises were coming from. The hard part is she's not super sick yet so her labored breathing isn't consistent it comes and goes. But liesel did that too at First. anyway I'm now certain brigitta is the one who's sick I caught her labored breathing more than once and her noses drips red gunk rather often but again its not consistent. so far I'm not seeing signs of illness in my other girls. Eponine and Anna seem fine and Arielle just recently had a vet check up and is healthy. I'm taking Brigitta to the vet Friday but does anyone know if she's not breathing funny when we go to the vet since it isn't constant Do you think the vet will still be able to tell she is sick? when they use the stethoscope to check lungs and heart will it show anything or do I have to wait until she is much sicker and her breathing problems are constant? I'm kind of worried.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Id take her. Most vets will prescribe based of your description even if the rat isn't cooperating. The trouble with things like this is they can get worse very fast if you don't act quickly

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Take a video. It helps with your description.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news! My vet is amazing, we just switched vets cause we moved last October and I seriously have never been so impressed with a vet in my life. My car wouldn't start and had to get a jump, making us late for our appointment but when we called the vet they said to come anyway. Then Brigitta ran into the couch and it took forever to coax her out making us even later... and when I called the vet they said to come anyway and they'd stay open late for us because if Brigitta reallys had a URI they didn't want to leave it untreated until Monday. So impressed!!! :D Also, Brigitta was of course showing no symptoms at the vet office... but my vet can tell from talking to me that I do my research and have a pretty good knowledge of most things rats so she trusted my opinion and also when she used her stethoscope she could tell that something is up with the lungs. So we caught it early, based on what I told her the vet figures its myco which is kind of what I would have guessed anyway and we now have medicine so hopefully everything will be okay.
The thing I really don't understand though is I also read about how contageous myco is and if one rat has it probably they all will. That confuses me because I just took Arielle to the vet and she definitely doesn't have it. And I see no symptoms or signs in Eponine or Anna either. I'm going to stay on the look out just incase but I just don't get why only one of my rats has it especially since last time when we dealt with a URI only Liesel ever got it and at that point I had 2 other rats who again were not infected at all. Am I just really lucky or something and beating statistics?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
All rats have myco. They're born with it and usually die related to it, if not tumors. Whether they show clinical signs depends on the rats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts