Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the All Living Things Rat Starter Kit, and it just is always a little smelly. Its about 3 years old, and Remy has a habit of peeing on the top level so that it dries in the crevice next to the rim of the platform. It's an awkward place to reach so I can't clean it thoroughly everyday, and Remy just will not use the litter tray, though he's good about it everywhere else.

And yes, I have tried the pee rock. Anyways, the plastic is now always slightly smelling of urine no matter how much its scrubbed, and so my question is; Can I get rid of it with some other cleaning solution?

And as a bonus, is there any way to keep Remy from doing that?

Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've read that apple cider vinegar can help get the pee smell out of things. There are also some enzyme cleaners specifically for pet urine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep same with Dan203 I use apple cider vinegar where my girls pee on their shelf and if I don't have apple cider I use regular vinegar.
My girls do the exact same thing smh I hate it. I'm like you ladies have a bathroom use it please! lol but they're my little brats so I deal with it :p
To sort of correct the problem I did use the rock idea but with a kinda twist. Since my girls used to pee on the whole level of their cage I now put a litter box there and line the bottom with litter and place medium sized river rocks (bought at the dollar store) on top. I can take a pic of it if you like. I know you said you tried the rock maybe they would like many little rocks??
Since my girls insist on peeing on the top level and pooping on the bottom level I have two litter boxes for them -__- lol I love them but they're crazy :)<3
If this is completely not helpful I'm sorry D:

Also for cleaning options I have heard that baking soda helps too. Just sprinkle the baking soda over the nasty spot and scrub with water. Good luck.
and on a side note I think I have the same cage as you :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used white distilled vinegar and then if the smell is super hardcore (like my cat's 4 year old plastic litter box) I soak it in vinegar for 30 minutes, spray it off, spray with vinegar in spray bottle, let it dry, and soak it in nature's miracle and let it dry. That cat box is so clean you could eat out of it (still wouldn't advise it). If your cage is super stinky, I'd do what I just recommended for the catbox first to sort of "reset" the stench to nonexistant and then use vinegar for daily clean up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have all female rats, but I do have a male hamster, whose urine is absolutely horrid. What I do to kill the smell is clean the cage twice a week. I use "SoPhresh small critter bedding". I buy it at Petco, and it works so well. If you cannot find it anywhere, mix a little baking soda in with your current bedding. It takes the smell away very well. I also take apart the cage each time I clean it and clean all of the nooks that get food, urine, poop, and fur trapped in them. I can't even smell him anymore, so I hope this works for you and Remy!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I used the vinegar and it worked wonders. :) I'll also try the little rocks, when I get my hands on some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts