Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it came time to introduce our classroom pet Jack, (Nickname Da Schmoo) to another rat. I was nervous when selecting, since I know male intros can be tricky, even when one is neutered (Jack). There was a juvenile up for adoption, and a three month old buck who had been very well socialized. However, the younger feller seemed to be coughing quite a bit. (Not in the cage, but as soon as my husband held him--might have been the hand sanitizer, who knows). The other boy slipped quietly if slightly nervously into my sweater where he began to brux. The people at the store (we have no breeders) were all kissing him and cuddling him as they walked by, and I just took it as a sign. This was a sweet boy.

Few days later...

Well, I started the carrier method intro. I would almost call what ensued laconic. There were two squeaks, TOTAL. Jack, our squishy laprat, sorta went though the motions of trying to mount the other boy, who just sat there patiently. They groomed each other. They sauntered into each others' space. Never an arched back or a nose-off. It was almost as if they were just going through some polite rituals before they could settle down to sleep. It took like ten minutes.

Mind you, this was neutral territory. They stayed like that for about five hours, sharing food and occasionally gently and slowly doing dominance stuff, but it just seemed so tentative. Jack was the beta with his previous cagemate, maybe he just didn't know how to alpha. And the other seems so laid back there's just not much argument from him. I almost laughed aloud when Jack tried again to mount him at one point, lost his balance, fell off, and seemed to say, "Eh. whatever. Let's just cuddle."

In the cage (Jack's domain) they just crawled into his hammock together and slept.

Mind you, I am keeping a close eye, because they are still doing a bit of space-invading and gentle, slow pinning. (no squeaking!) But it really just seems like...like they're doing it for show. Almost lazily!

Hope it stays as good a match as it has been so far. Any words of wisdom or warning?

·
Registered
74 Posts
just keep an eye on them and listen for any fighting, otherwise it sounds like you had a good introduction. I had four (intact) boys and two were absolutely relentless, while the other two couldn't care less about any newcomers. they can be quite a handful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts