Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I teach my guys there names?

Still dont know what i am going to name them though.

I want them to be trained very well.
I want to let them loose and have them come when called.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well... with mine, I took them out individually and put them on the floor. Once on the floor I would call their name and hold a treat out for them. First I would hold it close, then I slowly moved farther away from them. Soon enough, they got the idea. :)
You just have to be persistant, that's all. :) Good luck.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Yep, essentially that. Every time I give my boys a treat I say their name. Some are quicker than others, though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Every night before I go to bed, I call everyone to the cage door, and then take them out one by one for a bedtime yoggie. I hold them while they eat it and say their names to them. After about a month and a half, most of them know their names.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I just constantly call their names when Im playing with them.

Meromi responds to 'Romi' as well. So I think they can learn multiple names. :D

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
I have a certain tone for certain rats. Its soo sweet, there's 13 in the FN, and they often stick their noses thru the bars and watch me after settlign down. I call their names and they perk up and respond. :) When I am pattting large groups (the Horde of 13 for eg.) I pat them and say their name as I am, then I pat the next rat and say their name :)

treats are a great way to train them to come. BUT start off with healthy treats if you can. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts