Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

So I've been looking up ways to introduce new (female) rats in a calm environment, but I'm wondering which way would be the least stressful, and what you guys may or may have not done when introducing new rats and how it went?

I have my sweet girl Luna already, but I'm adopting 2 other females from a Raptor Rehabilitation program. They've each had three litters so their babies can provide nutrients and food for the injured birds there, so now they are being adopted out since they've been bred and have helped the facility, instead of being euthanized. I met both of the Ratties about a week ago, they were sweet and playful, both of them were very active, they weren't sick and they looked great.

Anyway, because they have had previous litters they have always been separated from other rats. So when I adopt them and go to introduce them to Luna, they will ALL be meeting each other for the first time.

My worry is if this seems okay, and what strategy would be best for my situation so they're the least amount of stressed, and hopefully they take it well without any issues. The other two girls I'm adopting (which is in a few days, the day before Halloween), are way bigger than Luna is. They're only between 2-4 months older than her, but they are HUGE. I have no idea why. I asked the woman about it and she said they're a normal weight and said that Luna must be either a runt or wasn't properly nourished enough by her mothers milk when she was a baby and was maybe weaned too early, but Lily (her sister that passed away) was even smaller than Luna. So I have no idea..

I'm just hoping because they're bigger than her that they don't bully or attack her.
I know they're fine unless they draw blood though, but what about it one or multiple of them are screaming and crying? Or are they just communicating at that point?

So any recommendations and/or thoughts on introducing them without issues (hopefully) would be spectacular, and I'd really appreciate it! I've never introduced rats before and I'm thinking about the worst that could go wrong, but definitely hoping for the best! I'm just nervous about it.. Thank you for your time & help though! Have a great day/night! :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Most introductions proceed with no real problems. A little chasing, some power grooming a few squeaks. Some people aren't so lucky and they post here asking for help. I started with 2 girls that I got spayed. Then by ones, twos, or threes added more both male and female usually neutered or spayed til I had a total of 13 rats. I only had one issue when a resident girl tried to evict two new girls. I put her by herself for a week while the new girls got to know everyone else, then added her back and she was so happy to see everyone she accepted the new girls without further issue.

Just let everyone play in a neutral area to see how they are going to get along. If things go well, clean the cage thoroughly so it is a new, neutral area and put them together. You can also try switching cages so everyone gets a chance to get used to the different odors either before or during actual introductions. If there are issues in the neutral area try again the next day, or make a post here telling us your issues so we can try to help you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thank you. I'll definitely ask for help and suggestions if things go wrong or they don't take to each other. I appreciate it :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts