Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not saying I'm going to do it, so don't shout at me.

I just need advice on what to do:

I'm going on holiday for a week and my only friend comfortable with rat sitting just cancelled.

My rats live in an insulated, heated, very safe shed. It's large and has no chewable wires. (I work from home in there so they don't get lonly). They run free in this shed, so they have loads of space and can excersize 24 hours a day.

They've never had any problems with this so I've left them home alone for up to 4 days before and they were fine when I got back. They do not over eat, and have plenty of water bottles.

They're also not very social in the first place, and are terrified of change, new smells, and new people (their previous owner wasn't very social with them). They're always terrified when I pick them up from their rat sitter. They don't leave their cage when they're with her.

So that makes me wonder, if I get another friend to come check they have food and water every few days, could I leave them for a week while I'm on holiday? I doubt they'd miss me much, as I said they don't really like people---because that's my biggest concern; that they'll get lonly.

I don't really have any other options but obviously if you guys can think of any reason not to do this, I'll have to think of something.

What's the longest you've left your rats alone?

I know people say they're very social creatures, but what if you have rats that aren't? Do they still get lonley?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I do that. Sort of! For a maximum of 7 days.
I have a big cage connected to their free range so they go in and out as they please.
My neighbour is a bit afraid of them but she will feed them as long as she doesn't have to handle them or open their cage. My rats are curious so the come hang out the cage door immediately and you have to guide them back a bit before you close the door so their paws or tails don't get stuck :) too scary for my neighbour hihi
I make ziplock bags with food: pallets and some different treats in each bag. My neighbour comes in every other day to just scatter a bag of food in the free range and get them fresh water and see it their still movig ;-)
I do have another friend who likes rats, but she lives further away but if my neighbour has any doubts about their behaviour she will come and check it out of take them to the vet if needed.

So I say it can be done, it might not be ideal for all rats or all owners but it works for me and my rats!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.
How many rats do you have? I guess it depends on whether your friend would also be able to check that they are each looking well and not showing any signs of illness/injury?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey, I think it's great that you can do this. As you say, if you feel comfortabel leaving them, they have enough space, they don't need medicine at the moment and they are inspected every so often, they'll be fine. I've only had ladies who've been constantly on medication so I've always been terrified even leaving them for one day or an evening.. so I'm basically saying that I'm very jealous of your situation haha! Go enjoy your holiday! So many people don't even care about their pets and it seems like you know what is best for yours

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I do love them a lot so I worry about leaving them 😅 no, none are on medication and I have 2 so they will have each other for company. Hopefully if I get a friend to check on them they can deal with any problems should they arise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not saying I'm going to do it, so don't shout at me.

I just need advice on what to do:

I'm going on holiday for a week and my only friend comfortable with rat sitting just cancelled.

My rats live in an insulated, heated, very safe shed. It's large and has no chewable wires. (I work from home in there so they don't get lonly). They run free in this shed, so they have loads of space and can excersize 24 hours a day.

They've never had any problems with this so I've left them home alone for up to 4 days before and they were fine when I got back. They do not over eat, and have plenty of water bottles.

They're also not very social in the first place, and are terrified of change, new smells, and new people (their previous owner wasn't very social with them). They're always terrified when I pick them up from their rat sitter. They don't leave their cage when they're with her.

So that makes me wonder, if I get another friend to come check they have food and water every few days, could I leave them for a week while I'm on holiday? I doubt they'd miss me much, as I said they don't really like people---because that's my biggest concern; that they'll get lonly.

I don't really have any other options but obviously if you guys can think of any reason not to do this, I'll have to think of something.

What's the longest you've left your rats alone?

I know people say they're very social creatures, but what if you have rats that aren't? Do they still get lonley?

Thanks for the help.
I have four girls and they have a fairly large cage. I went to Adelaide for a week and they were fine altho they were very pleased and excited to see me home again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts