Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a final question about Legalizing Pet rats in Iceland.

As some of you know,me and a group of people are going to send a letter to the government about Leagalizing Pet rats.But i just had to ask you one more thing.

If you live'd in Iceland and had to rite that letter how would the letter be?Could you rite a little ''SA''?

We just need a little more help,please :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
The only thing I would say is to make sure it looks clean and professional. Whining won't get your anywhere, but thoughtfully making your point will have the best chance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hilli,

Have you gotten together a petition? Have you talked to anyone exerienced with the ecology of Iceland?

These may be the things to start with if they haven't been done.

For an essay or letter you need to make them understand that you are not doing this just for yourself.
You need to explain hoe pet rats will have a positive influence on Iceland. This is a huge undertaking.
As well, you need them to know that you have done your homework. Why are rats illegal? What types of rats are already present?
Don't come off as whiney as the previous poster said. Let them know that you care about why they are saying no and work around that. So for example, you don't want to say:

"Your laws are stupid. Why can't we have pet rats? We want them now. They won't hurt anything."

Instead, say something like:
"It is understandable that laws exist denying ownership of certain types of domesticated animals that might cause a risk to the environment. And though these may be valid in most cases, such as with (here list a case where it would be valid... such as snakes might be released and do blah blah); pet rats would not seem to have as negative an impact as these laws suggest. (Here add information about rats that live in Iceland)."

You want to give them options. Offer the licensing idea. Touch on their worries about pet rats bringing in pet snakes (which I'm certain is a concern). Just meet their concerns with justification. Give them reasons to think rats will be beneficial. People who can't maintain dogs or cats could have a pair of rats for companionship. Maybe new industry would open up for cage manufacturers, thus producing jobs. The year of the rat is coming up. Wouldn't it be a good time to open the doors to these misunderstood pets.

Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts