Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again! :D

as some of you know my name is Hilmar and i live in Iceland,and pet rats are illegal here.

The reason is this:the Government thinks that they will escape and destroy Icelandic nature.

so what do you guys think would happen if some pet rats would escape out in the nature?

me and a group of people are making a letter to send to the government but we need a little information about this:do you guys think that Pet rats could survive in icelandic nature? eaven survive the winter's?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Domestic rats - probably not. But that's just my initial impression. They're not suited to cold temperatures - and unless they find somewhere nice and cosy to spend the winter it will be very hard to survive.

Then again, we have seen time and time again what little miracles these fluff-butts really are - so who knows. But for the sake of your letter - say no and hope they let you keep rats lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you happen to know of any research data about what Pet rats can tolerate? (Regarding heat and cold)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You've asked this before, and I know I may be argued with, but yes, they could survive. Rats survive almost everywhere except the north and south poles. They're very smart and they'd know where to find heat. Even pet rats, though some may not survive, some may. Now, as to destroying Icelandic nature... that's another story. If you don't currently have rats, I'd think introducing a new species could be quite bad for the environment.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just another point, rats aren't the only pets that could 'damage' the environment. Feral cats have been known to decimate bird populations.

Also, aren't there already rats in Iceland? Released domestics would fit the same niche as wild rats. I really doubt pets would be released in numbers large enough to change anything drastically

·
Registered
94 Posts
here in Missouri they are legal...

·
Registered
240 Posts
it's very true though, if rats aren't already present in Iceland, the introduction of them could greatly alter the environment, in a negative way. Any introduced species will more then likely compete with the native species for resources. I love my rats and i feel bad that you can't have ratties too but i do understand the concerns of your government. To make a good argument you will have to research what role wild rats play in their environment (what they eat, where they live, ect.) and make sure that it would not compete negatively with any native species of animal or plant. Of course this is all hypothetical guesses, you'd never truly know until the problem occurred.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah,we have wild rats.

There are a few Pet rats here though,two petting zoo's have a few rats (Legal) and some people.but there are maybe 8 Pet rats in iceland.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sometimes it's hard to know what the real problem is concerning illegal pets. Here in California ferrets are illegal. However, the same is not true in most other states. I have no idea why that is.

Could it perhaps be an outdated law that no one has seen fit to change?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you have wild rats, I don't see the problem...

Well, actually, which species of rat do you have? Black Rat (roof rat, etc) or the NOrway Rat (the Brown rat)?

The Norway Rat will try to run the Black rats out if that's all you have.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have/had the Brown rat and the Black rat.

Pet rats,Ferrets,Turtle's,Lizard's and snake's are also illegal.

I'm getting pretty pisst!!! the icelandic Government think's that they can just take EVERYTHING away from us!

Just imagine if you live'd in Iceland,imagine you had no Pet rats at all.try to understand how i feel.

I'm just asking for your help,do it for us.please?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Geeze, it's like your government is run by a poor veterinarian! Only dogs and cats, please...

I do get where they're coming from, though. Rats will survive, and rats will destroy things around them (not to be mean, but they have to eat and stay warm just like everything else, it just so happens that it's easy for them to chew into a house to stay warm!). But if you already HAVE wild rats, not sure it's a problem...

Could you maybe ask to have a license created for owning pet rats? Obviously a good rat owner isn't going to let their rats go if they get bored with them, or let them breed, or breed with wild rats, etc etc like your government probably fears would happen if the common person decides on a whim to get rats and then gets bored with them. But if you had to get a license, it seems to me like that would weed out a good number of the shoddy pet owners...

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is why I advise rat lovers to not go running to authorities to complain about "abuse"... if enough loud people do it the right to own a rat can easily be taken away and here is a perfect example.

Rats can survive in the wild... pet rats are of the most hardy strain, the Norway rat, although not originally from Norway, it is certainly the most populous wild rat in cities and towns.

Anyway... I don't think there are many places that don't have wild rats... so I am not sure about this explaination about why, I think it is more based on ignorance like all the ferret bans.

·
Registered
227 Posts
yashu said:
This is why I advise rat lovers to not go running to authorities to complain about "abuse"... if enough loud people do it the right to own a rat can easily be taken away and here is a perfect example.
Do you think the same would be said of people reporting the abuse of dogs or cats? I think the likelihood of this is pretty slim unless there is a HUGE uprising of people reporting abuse. If that were the case, I'd rather no one own them over having abused animals on our hands.

In this case, however, I think there is a difference between the idea of reporting rats as "pests" and reporting "abuse". Apples and oranges.

All other things aside, we also don't know exactly what the case in Iceland is. It's probably closer to your mention of ignorance in relation to owning ferrets.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dogs and cats are the alcohol and tobacco of the pet industry... no matter what happens they will always be legal.

The dog and cat industry has a LOT more to lose and they are the image of "wholesome family pet"

You don't think it could happen... but it has happened in many many counties across the USA with ferrets. So count your blessings and don't be too squeeky of a wheel.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts