Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello - i took everyone's advice and now have THREE boy ratlets running around my place. they are very good about staying close to me, and they never "take off" when i let them run around my room. they come when i call them (most of the time :D) and i was wondering if it would be a bad idea to take them outside?

i live on the campus of a university, so there are lots of grassy open areas that are "raised up" about 4 feet from the sidewalk and surrounded by concrete "barriers/fences" that would prevent ratty escapes. i can't see how i would lose one unless he took off up a tree or jumped onto the concrete below, about 4 feet down, but i think they'd stay pretty close to me.

also, how often do rats get parasites from outdoor excursions? i don't want them getting infested :(

·
Registered
981 Posts
My main concern about taking rats outside is actually birds. I saw a youtube video of a kid playing with his mouse outside and a hawk just swooped down, took it, and flew away.

That being said, when I first got rats I let them play outside occasionally to no ill effects. I think the odds of a bird grabbing your rat may be low, but I really don't know.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh wow! i never thought about the hawks...now i am really nervous! i've seen some on campus, do you think they would snatch one of my boys if they were right next to me?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think if you know there are hawks around, it wouldn't be a good idea to take them out, just in case. Also, rats are great climbers, so they might go up trees. I wouldn't take mine outside unless I could get them to wear a harness and leash, which some people have success with and some don't. They sell harnesses for ferrets, which would be small enough for adult males, and someone mentioned a harness meant for iguanas that work even better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have 3 fully adjustable harnesses/leashes for my babies. They sell them in different packaging for rabbits, ferrets, and iguanas, but they ae all the same thing. Getting them on can be a hassle but it makes it easier for me to grab them quickly if i need to. Also watch for them getting caught on things when your little ones go exploring.

Here's a link to an Iguana one: http://www.petco.com/product/5025/Four-Paws-Safety-Iguana-Leash-and-Harness.aspx

My 3 love exploring outside and usually don't like being far from me. If you want them to get excercise you can slowly walk backwards from them so that they follow you. Its so funny to watch them bounding through the grass. My only worry is insects, but that hasn't been a problem yet. And I doubt that a hawk will swoop down around people, but I could be wrong

·
Registered
293 Posts
i take mine outside and keep her close i doubt a hawk would come down and any near a full grown person...not that it isnt possible just kinda think it would keep them away, taking 3 out at once might be a bad idea. may be one at a time and keep a very close eye on it/keep it right next to you. or a harness...mine wont wear one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
No, I was on a chicken forum before. Hawks were a big concern-yeah, some just really don't care if your there or not and will swoop down whenever they goshdarn feel like it. Not all, mind you, but perhaps.... 30%-50% ish. Accordin' to what I've heard. So be careful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts