Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we found out that the girls have lice. I knew something was up, because they have been itching like it's nobody's business. I kind of freaked out today, though, because I noticed on the car ride on the way there that the skin on their hands was a little bit pale. Now I know it's probably anemia. They're on a really tiny dose of Ivermectin oral every three days and I have to clean their cage today. Is there anything I can do to make them more comfortable? And as for the anemia, can I feed them an iron rich diet to aid their recovery, as in humans? Let me know what I should do. The vet said that the Ivermectin would clear up their itching in a few days. Until then, I need something to help soothe them. They hate baths, so I don't think that would be a good idea. They seem to enjoy wipe-downs with a warm damp towel, though.

Do you think pure aloe vera from the plant would be safe and soothing for their skin?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also wanted to say, last night I went out to the pet store to see if there was anything I could buy for their itching. I ended up buying the 8 in 1 Ultracare flea and tick remedy for small animals, but after reading about the dangers I didn't use it! It's going right back to the store! I read about someone whose rat died after grooming it off of himself. It gave me quite the scare and I'm so glad I didn't use it on mine. I would love to know about natural remedies that are soothing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts