Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I know I haven't been on in a long time. i'm hoping to get some help.

I recently adopted a five week old baby five days ago and she has lice. I don't see any adults but I see the nits. I am currently in a VAA course and knowing how easy it can be to over dose an animal on medication even topical I worry that that can happen with my baby. I am hoping to find away to do it with out revolution. Some people say it is safe for a baby rat but others say never to. She is currently housed alone as she is to small to be with the others yet.

If I have to get revolution I will but I am hoping to find a safer more natural way to get rid of them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
There's this wonderful stuff I discovered, it's called food grade diatomaceous earth (you can get it at pet valu). It's basically very fine shards of glass and fossil dust, so fine that it kills the bugs. It's edible and doesn't affect not-bugs if it gets into their eyes or lungs.

It's a chalky powder and what you do is rub it all over them, until your black rat is a white puff. It works on nits and eggs, so do it twice a week for two weeks to a month to get everything.

This stuff is amazing. It kills mites, lice, slugs that eat your cabbages, you name it. I even used it as a wormer in my cat. You can dust the cage with it, dust hammocks, and dust the litter box so you don't have to pull everything out and replace it every single day. It's like magic. I've used it on week old baby mice with no ill effects.

The best part? No chemicals! You can't overdose! You could feed this to your rats every day of their lives and they'd be fine.

Warning though, it'll make your skin dry. If it dries out your rat (it never did for me) feed them a corner of bread soaked in olive oil once a week.

Well, that's what I use, good luck!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I was talking to my instructor today and he reassured me that revolution is fine, but I will still use a more less chemical way like what you have suggested with my older rats sense they haven't came into contact with her just in case. pluse a 60-80 dollar vet bill for five rats each would not be good on my wallet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts