Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boys have LICE! I got them about 3 weeks ago, and they have had flea's...bathed them and flea combed them flea's were gone, and now they have lice....
I am getting Ivermectin tomarrow to start treatment (as I just noticed the lice tonight at playtime) And have also made three new sets of bedding to switch out throughout the treatment process.

This could pose a small problem when I get my new boys in 2 weeks, but I guess i will deal with it lol, they have to be QT'd anyways...so shouldnt transfer between them.
I have a question though, I have 10 Sugar Gliders in the same room, and I am hopeing and praying that rodent lice is species specific and wont be contracted by my tiny marsupials....am i right?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
im not sure, that sucks, sorry:( my first 2 had lice and we brought them back to the store cuz my parents didnt wanna go to the vet..........good luck

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, went to the feed store today (Known the guy since i was little so he opened shop just for me lol) Got Ivermectin 1.87%, and gave them each a glob about the size of an uncooked grain of rice, they like it lol...it's apple flavored.

And i did a little more reading on rodent lice, and they are supposed to be very species specific (if they get on another animal, they jump of and find a rat) But if i do find them on the gliders, they can get the ivermectin as well so its alright.

Ill keep everyone updated on the progress :D

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
thats good! i think that the lice i found on mine was buck grease (dang it!) but it was my first night with rats and the *buck grease* was moving.... oh well, atleast i have a baby girl that i love and love and love to death now! also if it was llice or mites my parents didnt want the dogs getting it, cuz we had already spent $300 to take maxy to the vet that day........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts