Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moose has been licking himself a lot. Whenever I pick him up, his belly is soaked. I mean SOAKED, like he's been lying in a puddle. His hind legs and chest are the same way.

I figure he's got some serious itch going on, but I didn't think that mites usually appeared on the chest, tummy, and underside of the hind legs.

I can't detect any scabs, and I don't see him itching overmuch, just nonstop licking.

He likes to lick me too, and he likes to groom his cagemates, it's like his favorite passtime.

I wonder if he has mites, and he's licking his hotspots? Or if he is just OCD and HAS TO BE CLEAN.

I just held him down and schmeared hydrocortizone cream on his chest, the current biggest wet spot. I saw and felt no scabs, again.

Research on the interwebz has kinda failed me here. I can't find any conditions that describe this behavior.

Ideas?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hmm, the first thing that comes to my mind, if it's not parasites, it might be something internally. He might have an ache somewhere and is trying to soothe it...but it's not working since it's on the inside and he does it excessively.

That's the only thing I can think of other than OCD. If he's never done this before, than that is likely not it. If it's not on the outside, than it might be the inside.

I would still look for parasites to be extra sure, but if he doesn't stop then something internal might be happening.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts