Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought you guys might be interested by the complete and utter crap Petsmart has told me just with dealing with two of their employees. ( I did talk to a third but she owned rats herself and seemed to know what she was saying :3 ) So, the first day a woman helped me with pickin out Dela and Izumi from the standard-earded rat bin. While I was playing with them and trying to figure out which two seemed to be the best she sat beside me saying some random care "facts" (Which I don't remember much of because it was starting to annoy me ._.) But I do remember one thing she said. "You can pretty much just pick based on the markings you like. They all act the same anyway."

Ehm... Just from watching them I could note many differences between all of the four rats they had in that bin. That was about the worst she told. It was the second day that really got me mad. So, I was helped by an older man who at first seemed pretty kind if not exactly knowledgable. Well, I soon figured out just how UNknowledgable he was. This man kept trying to get me to pick up the baby dumbo rats by "scissoring" their tails. Which he then did multiple times to various rats. He dropped the rats about five times on the lip of the tank and just random places in the tank. Multiple rats landed on their heads from about two feet above the tank (Including my Neera). Of course, I competely ignored this advice and silently cringes each time he did it, but he kept persisting that I needed to just grab one because "No matter what you're not going to hurt it"

So, after I had watched and played with them for ahat I felt was a sufficient amount of time I decided that Neera seemed like the best rat for me. The man then proceeded to pick her up (For whatever reason >.>) and obviously the baby female rat squirmed quite a bit. The man then decided to enlighten me to how to solve this problem. By squeezing my baby. Literally. His advice was, "If they're being squirmy you just give them a squeeze until they calm down a bit. It usually works pretty well." Then, after I hurriedly told him I understood so he would freaking stop he puts her back in the cage and gets me a box. Needless to say the instant he handed her to me he was not allowed to lay a single finger on the box. I am seriously considering calling Petsmart and complaining anout his attrocious behavior.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neera was extremely skittish in the store (For good reason!) but she seems much calmer now and will tun up to me and climb on my leg and take a few pettings. I could barely pick her up in that store, probably because of that horrible employee dropping her on her face!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Poor wee things, just goes to show why petshop rats can often be a bit screwed up if that's how the employees treat them. Hope your wee ones are ok and the vet gives them the all clear.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Man I would have told him off right then and there! I hate it when the Pet shop employees are so stupid and don't even know how to handle the animals. Most of the time they're too scared of being bitten, and then they tell you "oh no you can't hold them, they're too quick and bite!". When I was getting mice at a Petco I asked the man if I could hold them, and after wrestling them out of the tank for me and insisting it was impossible to just hold them, I gently picked the mice up the correct way and they just sat there on my arm. Another time a mouse jumped out of the tank and the employee chased it around the aisle. I mean really people how hard is it to scoop a mouse rather than slam your hand down over it and grab it by the tail??

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Obviously their way is much more effective. >.> I get kind of nervous around adults like that so I really couldn't think of a way to ask him to not squeeze the rat I had asked to buy. Who does that to an animal someone has already said they want to buy?!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I had a similar experience with a breeder, I know it's worse when it's happening in a mainstream pet store. But my goodness isn't it difficult to hold your tongue sometimes! He was picking them up by the tail, feeding them goat mix, showing me his 200 rats all kept in storage tubs. I wanted to save them all!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had an experience at Petsmart a few months ago. I saw the cute little females, and me and my friend asked to hold one (I wasn't considering one, since I have boys anyway, I just wanted to show them some love) and the girl opened up the tank, picked her up (like how most "newbies" would, not the scoop method) and as she was handing her to me she said, "Be careful, they're really fast and might jump out of your arms." And I told her I was fine and that I owned rats myself. You see, when the employee was handling her, she was really squirmy, but when she put her into my arms, she just laid there and let me pet her..Ugh I wanted to take her home so bad, but I didn't have an extra cage, and my mom would've said NO. I wish the employees were better educated...

·
Registered
503 Posts
^That though.

Whenever I go to Petsmart, all the rats always seem panicked when the employees are handling them, but they usually mellow out really quickly when I get them. Most just chill on my shoulder and nuzzle my hair/head. I don't know what it is, but I never see any animals very calm when pet store employees have to handle them. Maybe it's just because they smell like so many other animals and things.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I hate I was once getting a diamond dove from PetSmart and the lady was going on about how this pair was bonded because that's all the supplier sends, not two random ones or clutch mates, bonded birds (ya okay) but then was talking to this couple about how they could get 1 male rat and keep him in this starter cage (which was actually a decent size, not giant but not teeny either) all by himself. I kinda tried to point them towards 2 but I don't know how it turned out.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ugh... I understand that they're not trained but isn't it kinda common knowledge anyway not to pick something up by the tail? I don't run around picking up kittens by the tail because I'm sure it wouldn't feel good. And why do they have to feel like explaining everything like they're superior when they're not saying correct information? Just don't say anything at all if you don't know...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Complain. Call corporate. That sort of information is NOT promoted by petsmart, it's failings of individuals. Please PLEASE notify corporate.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ugh... As a 16 year old with anxiety issues, I totally get not being able to say anything. I always dwell on these situations afterwards and think of what I could've said, but in the moment I just get really hot and clam up. I would look into calling them though, and complaining about their employees handling of small pets.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Please notify corporate and get the employee(s) name(s). At the very least, have a stern conversation with the store manager. PetSmart does NOT promote this BS. It's stupid people defying their training and common sense.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would I still be able to call even though it happened a while ago? I didn't remember the employee's name, so I didn't think it would do any good to try calling and just say "One of the employees did blah blah"... If it would help to call in now, I definitely will. I don't want any of those other sweet babied being injured by an employee... Neera's such a sweetie despite everything.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would still probably make a general complaint since you witnessed more than one employee doing something absolutely stupid. Who knows if it'll help or not, but maybe someone out there cares enough to do something. When I went to pick up Freyja and her accidental litter from a pet store chain here the guy first wrote me off as a crazy person and ignored me then when he realized I wasn't going away finally went and opened the tank. In all his chivalrous stupidity, he told me to stay back and he'd catch Freyja because she was really mean. After watching him chase her around the cage with his hand for a few seconds I handed him the box and told him to move (kindly, of course). I let Freyja sniff my hand for a second and she started grooming me so I scooped her up and held her while I placed her babies in the box. The guy looked at me like I had just charmed a deadly snake out of the cage. They're rats for pete's sake! Not spitting cobras! Sheesh

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll do that tomorrow then! :3
I'm glad you gave her a chance to show you how sweet she was! I had hard time picking Neera out because the other two were just as terrified as her... In the end, I chose her because she was the only one I hadn't noticed sneezing. I'm glad I got her away from that employee though, to be honest. I hope none of the other babies in the cage got injured from his rough handling...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
She could have bit my hand off and I still probably would have taken her home lol. They told me what would be done with the babies and I just couldn't leave them to that fate and her to have her babies slowly taken from her.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I went to pets mart to scope out their ratties and the sticker on the cage said that they were female and when I asked to hold one I noticed it had some rat balls lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts