Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cat Sanka has suffered from Cystitis since we brought the rats home, we've took him to the vet twice (to only be given the same rubbish meds) and we had to take him again this morning. They've decided NOW they want to test him urine.. took your time!!! I'm getting him a Feliway today to help reduce stress and I'm bringing the rats into the living room. I swear its the stress of me disappearing nightly into a room he's not allowed in and coming out smelling of rat. So I'm going to put the rats in the living room, have a Feliway upstairs & downstairs and I'm going to change him onto medicated food for a month just to keep this horrible bate away!!!

I just :( Most people don't understand that he's my baby :( He gets jealous of anyone (especially my OH) coming near me, he cuddles me when I'm sick and he gives me good morning/night kisses. He's my fluffy angel and I hate seeing him sick :( But his constant sickness is drying my bank acc out big time :( Oh well, I'd use every penny if I had to.

Idk I just need to vent :(

·
Registered
664 Posts
Awe poor kitty. I hope he gets better soon!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know those feels. Our cat, Shy, we finally found out has asthma and we have to get her monthly shots now. v.v

I hope the can figure it out and he can get better! <3 >:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you x

Just trying to find a new wet food for him as Gourmet Perle is apparently awful for him so need a new food but he's so fussy. We tried to move him onto Felix before and he didn't eat for 3 days, moody sod. Haha!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
It's frustrating when you have to keep going to the vet, paying for treatment, and nothings working so you just keep going back and spending more. Soon it feels pointless. My cat Timmy is balding on his butt and legs, and once I cut a patch of his hair off and it never grew back so his fur looks weird all over. We took him in for shots, medicine, exams, and nothing worked so I decided to just leave it. He's perfectly healthy we just arent sure why his hair wont grow back. I hope Sanka gets better!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sanka Update:

So he had a urine test and the vets called us to say its extremely concentrated. Its so concentrated that TEENY crystals are forming and that may be why. Hes being put on specisl vet food for 6 weeks then life long UTI food (you can buy from [email protected]). We've now got FIVE litter trays around the house for 2 cats and his feliway is on its way. Hes always hated litter trays (only poops in them, he pees in the bath!!!) So this may be why he retains his pee so bad. BUT its not life threatening and it can (fingers crossed) be solved :D

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
My cat had the same problem with a urine infection, it turned out he wasn't drinking enough water so we got him a moving fountain to encourage him to drink. My vet told me he had to be on UTI food for the rest of his life, but once we ran out I just started giving him his regular food. He's fine now though, I hope Sanka improves!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Are you sure this isn't our cat? Not only does our boy Jimo look like him but he recently had a UTI too that he was prescribed special food for. Peeing in the bathtub was one of the reasons he was taken to the vets in the first place. Apparently many cats with UTI's do this. http://i.imgur.com/MtyDMO2.jpg

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You've robbed my Sanka!!! Hes pee'd in the bath since he had crystals over a year ago and now hes got this back. Has your Jimbo improved? I just want my baby better :( But our cats are twins... Long lost brothers!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ksaxon, glad to know your baby is better now!!! I make sure mine drink with a water bowl in every room and we leave the taps on for them too. (I also stalk them to make sure they do haha!!!) Just want him better now so I don't have to worry so much :(

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Yeah, Jimo got better on the special vet food and now he is back on regular tin food without any ailments. Well, he started biting off hair from his chest out of stress but I don't think he is doing that anymore. My boyfriend's parents adopted him from a shelter about 6 years ago and everyone kind of assumed he was special looking but then we kept seeing cats that looked just like him online but they were going under this breed https://www.google.com/search?q=black+norwegian+forest+cat&biw=962&bih=553&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=b4k9VPf7D8risAS-_oLQCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ a lot of those really furry black ones with orange on their chest look EXACTLY like our Jimo its scary. Now you come in with another twin :3

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You know what, I've been looking for 2 years as to what he could be!!! You've just solved the Sanka mystery!! I'm glad Jimo is better, not nice when kitties are ill, they look so sad :( Well I put down the extra cat litters last night and took off the lids (we had enclosed litter trays) and since then he's been doing little pees in there... So I think he has hang ups about the litter trays!!! He's always hated them so I'm going to go on the hunt this weekend for a really big open one (as hes a huge cat!!). Is your Jimo huge as well? They told us Sanka is over weight but he's actually the longest and broadest cat we've ever seen. :D

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Tote bins make good big litter boxes, just use a sharp knife or such to cut a doorway out :)

Transition him to moist canned or raw food if you haven't already - cats on wet diets get at least twice as much water as cats on dry food - and lack of water is the main reason cats get cystitis. Give this site a good read, specifically this section which discusses specific treatment for cystitis.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tote bins make good big litter boxes, just use a sharp knife or such to cut a doorway out :)

Transition him to moist canned or raw food if you haven't already - cats on wet diets get at least twice as much water as cats on dry food - and lack of water is the main reason cats get cystitis. Give this site a good read, specifically this section. It contains a lot of extremely valuable information for all cat owners.
I was looking into getting one of them! Well, a couple :) Both the cats are on an all wet diet and have water daily (I check haha!). Sankas problem is he retains the water for too long, causing infection & crystals. I think it has something to do with the litter trays... So going to put him on the vet food for 6 weeks and water his litter activity, plug in a feliway and hope for the best! :D Thanks for that site btw! Gonna give it a good read :)

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
No problem, CatInfo is a really great site and gets the point across better than I could. There is a section on there about litter boxes, too - it has a lot of good tips for fussy cats, brand/type recommendations, etc. :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No problem, CatInfo is a really great site and gets the point across better than I could. There is a section on there about litter boxes, too - it has a lot of good tips for fussy cats, brand/type recommendations, etc. :)
Thats brill! Thanks Jaguar :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Are you using a cat litter which clumps by any chance? If so, it would be a good idea to switch to a non-clumping litter. The dust of clumping litter gets into the cat's fur. The cat grooms himself and ingests the litter dust and it can eventually cause internal problems due to the clumping action within the cat's system.

Also, see if there are any herbal or other natural remedy suggestions online for the cystitis. When I got divorced our cat Moose stayed in the house with my ex (as there was a garden there but I'd had to move into a top floor apartment) until his g/f moved in with her cat. When I took Moose back I found that she had become quite ill (diabetes symptoms) - and then found that my ex had stopped paying her insurance so vet's visits were out of the question. I treated her using natural remedies I found online which curbed her symptoms considerably and at very little cost. There may be similar solutions out there for cystitis.

Wishing you and Sanka all the best. I know how it is to have a sick fur baby who means the world to you.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He isn't using clumping no, I read about that before I even got them and avoided that like the plague! :) He's just always had a fear of the litter tray and I don't know why. So I'm going to try various different types of trays and litters around the house to see if he has a preference.

Ooo I never thought about that, thats a brilliant idea! Thank you :) Hoping Moose is feeling a lot better now and is a lot happier with you!!! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts