Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daisy is a very light brown hooded girl. She is almost 3 months old. I noticed the other day that she has a small line or ring around her neck that looks like its turning a rusty color. I wiped her down with a wipe and tried to wash her neck a little but it doesn't seem to be anything that will come off. I thought at first maybe she wiped her eyes or something and wiped it on her neck, but it's very faint. Obviously we noticed it right away because we always have them out when we are home. Could she just be changing color? I haven't read anything about this color changing, but doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Anyone else have a light brown turn rusty?

·
Registered
358 Posts
My Loki started getting rusting colors on where he groomed a lot when he was well over a year old. He would lick his feet and scratch his neck and sides. Over time, he got a rusty pink-ish ring by his neck and on his sides. I read somewhere it was a build up of the porphyrin (<which if your a new rat owner, your going to want to know what that it, lest you think your rat has a nose bleed or is crying blood and you have a heart attack) that is in his saliva over the course of time. He never had leaky eyes or nose, and his leaky cage mate didn't have rust patches. I don't bath my rats often, and only dawn dish soap (very deluded) sorta helped. She seems to young for that, and I think at three months there still might be time for color change.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts