Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

We took my boys to the vet a few days ago and were told they seem to have the beginnings of ringtail and to treat it by putting lime sulfur on their tails once a week for 4 weeks. One boy did end up losing the tip of his tail like the vet said he probably would, but he is okay.

I got the bottle in the mail today..
... and read that it's very important that the rats do not ingest it... but surely they'd end up licking their tails at some point.. so now I'm worried and doubting everything. Should I not use this? Do they even have ringtail? What can I do if I don't need to use this? Do any of you have experience with this product?

Here is a picture from today of my boy's tail.

The tip has only very recently come off and is still a little dark and healing up.
But his tail is how the other rat's tail looks too for the most part. Is it ringtail? It is scaly and rough. I just assumed their tails were very dirty. I feel very guilty that I thought it was just dirt this entire time.

I just want some advice on what to do to help my boys without possibly harming them in the process. Thanks a bunch. :)

Registered
ringtail is EXTREMELY rare in adult non hairless rats, but I would listen to the advice of the vet. by the looks of their tails, I really don't think they would lick the medicine off 馃き. I'm not sure if you should wait or do this first, but you can clean their tails with some unscented baby shampoo and a soft bristle toothbrush. With all the dirt its honestly hard to tell if there's anything else wrong but the tip of the tail falling off would imply either an infection or ringtail to me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ringtail is EXTREMELY rare in adult non hairless rats, but I would listen to the advice of the vet. by the looks of their tails, I really don't think they would lick the medicine off 馃き. I'm not sure if you should wait or do this first, but you can clean their tails with some unscented baby shampoo and a soft bristle toothbrush. With all the dirt its honestly hard to tell if there's anything else wrong but the tip of the tail falling off would imply either an infection or ringtail to me.
Thank you for your response, I appreciate it! Our vet isn't an exotic vet and for the most part they're fine but I do sometimes wonder if they're completely right about some of the things they tell us. (We live very rural and any exotic vet is over an hour out)

LOL yeah, I figured they probably wouldn't lick their tails... but I wanted to make sure that if for some bizarre reason they decided to, it wouldn't harm 'em... better safe than sorry.. I'm definitely gonna try to give their tails a good clean and see what's underneath.

Thanks again :)

Registered
Thank you for your response, I appreciate it! Our vet isn't an exotic vet and for the most part they're fine but I do sometimes wonder if they're completely right about some of the things they tell us. (We live very rural and any exotic vet is over an hour out)

LOL yeah, I figured they probably wouldn't lick their tails... but I wanted to make sure that if for some bizarre reason they decided to, it wouldn't harm 'em... better safe than sorry.. I'm definitely gonna try to give their tails a good clean and see what's underneath.

Thanks again :)
Tail infections can also cause rats to lose part of a tail and can be caused by being dirty. best way I found to wash tails is to get a bowl of warm water, use a sponge that has a corse side to it, with baby shampoo or dishsoap on it. wipe down the tail till dirt stops coming off when you do, then get a soft bristle toothbrush and rub in little circles down the tail towards the tip. wash the tail off after with non soapy water and then dry and apply some sort of oil (I use coconut) or unscented lotion. That stops them from getting really dry :) hopefully you can get some nice clean tails! show me the difference if you can! ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts