Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I know I'm new here - I shall introduce my ratties to you all soon! - but I'm abit worried about my one girls.

I noticed last night that one of her back feet has become limp, she can't seem to cling onto the cage with her toes with the ONE back foot. I don't think she's in any pain as she quite happily puts it down, but then quickly tucks it back up. She quite happily lets me touch it and doesn't tell me off or anything. I was wondering whether she could've possibly hurt it while jumping or playing with her cagemates....?
Oh there isn't any sores on the pad either, so it can't be bumblefoot.
She's in the wars abit as she lost her eye a few weeks after I brought her then had unexpected babies and now has a lump on her side :(

I don't plan to take her to the vets, unless the foot starts to swell/hurt her/becomes uncomfortable or anything like that.

I hope you guys can offer me some advice :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The foot shouldn't be too much of a prblem since she seems to be healing and all. The lump would be a definite reason to take her into the vets though. Considering she just had a litter of babies it may be a clogged mammary duct, and abscess, or a tumor. Are you giving her extra foods and protiens to help with her supporting babies?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took her to the vets about her lump - about 2 months ago. I'd rather not have her operated on, as I don't want to put her through the stress etc. She's okay with it at the moment, but I'm just gonna wait to see what the future brings.
Oh and the babies, I forgot to mention that she had them about 7 months ago when I first got her. Roxy - my youngest - is one of her children :)

Trust me not to put the important details in - Sorry.
I'm just worried about her foot as I don't want it getting worse or anything.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
sounds like a typical sprain, where they dot it down and then hold it up. It should be okay in a few days. If not then you might want to reconsider the vet trip.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies :)

Yeah, I'm hoping it's just a minor sprain. They have bird perches in the cage so jump up to reach them, they also tend to jump and launch themselves to get into their hammock.
I'll definitely take her to the vets if it starts to look like it's getting bad.

I really appreciate the feedback. It puts my mind at ease abit more :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts