Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, August has been limping for a few days, but his foot was normal sized and not discolored or anything. No cuts or scrapes that I can see. It's his right rear leg. He was just not putting any weight on it. I inspected him and he only gave a small peep when I got to the upper part of his leg.

Then this evening, all of a sudden, it's hugely swollen! It is not red, in fact it's perfectly pink except for the huge size. Does anyone have an idea about this? Could it be a sprain/break? I gave him infant ibuprofen and am keeping a close eye on him, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
320 Posts
The last time I suggested someone take their rat to the vet for proper diagnosis, I got majorly jumped on here, but, yeah.

Sudden swelling isn't a good sign--if he has a break in the femur that's very serious. It may also be a sign of infection, or a serious soft tissue injury..

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks. Of course I'll bring him in, I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of what was wrong.

· Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The fact it's so swollen is worrying. It could be a Sprain on top of an earlier light sprain bit it could also be signs thete is an infection going on. If you've got anti inflammatory in (kids ibuprofen suspension or metacam are good options) then i would put him on it and see if the swelling comes down. If he starts looking Ill, lethargic or fluffy then he needs to get to the vet fast. If the swelling doesn't go down on meds in a few days or you don't have meds in i would also get him to the vets.

Make sure he had food water and a bed in the floor of the cage

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick update - August is doing much better now, turned out to be an infected cut. I wasn't able to tell at first because of the swelling but the vet saw it right away. His foot is back to normal now. :)

· Registered
320 Posts
Quick update - August is doing much better now, turned out to be an infected cut. I wasn't able to tell at first because of the swelling but the vet saw it right away. His foot is back to normal now. :)
Awesome news. It did sound like a very likely infection.

What meds did he put him on?

Are you having to soak the foot?

My eyes are crossing, imagining trying to keep a couple of my silly girls still, for such nursing tasks. ;D

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He gave us an oral antibiotic and a topical cream. I have been doing saline soaks and that seems to help a lot - after the first day the swelling went down a lot. This is my third rattie that had to take an oral antibiotic and I have to say, it is NOT easy to administer. My rats hate them. With September I had to just shoot it into his mouth with the syringe as quickly as I could. He wouldn't even take it mixed with food, it's like he just knew. Lol. So far August has been patient with me. :)

· Registered
320 Posts
He gave us an oral antibiotic and a topical cream. I have been doing saline soaks and that seems to help a lot - after the first day the swelling went down a lot. This is my third rattie that had to take an oral antibiotic and I have to say, it is NOT easy to administer. My rats hate them. With September I had to just shoot it into his mouth with the syringe as quickly as I could. He wouldn't even take it mixed with food, it's like he just knew. Lol. So far August has been patient with me. :)
I had a very hot Arab mare (she's passed now) who once had to have multiple daily foot soaks due to a bad laceration right at the coronary band on her left front.

You have never seen the contents of a bucket slung so fast everywhere, nor--I bet--an astounded horse suddenly wearing a five gallon bucket on her head ;D

(Not that it stayed on her head for more than a millisecond!)

What a good boy you have, hope he continues to be so patient and easy.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OMG, haha! Aww. Horses are amazing, I would love to have one someday! Yes, August is a very good boy. I can tell when he's starting to get annoyed with me so I try not to push him too much. He stays calm as long as I'm talking to him. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.